Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/06 12:17:18 UTC

Draft: board report for 2023 Q1

Hello,

Below you can find a draft of this quarter's board report. I plan to
submit it next Tuesday (April 11, 2023).
Please let me know if you have any additions or corrections.

Best regards,
Stamatis

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and planning
queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like
access,
and in particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data
not residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building
local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an independent
release schedule and its own repository.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Calcite was founded 2015-10-22 (7 years ago)
There are currently 63 committers and 27 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 7:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- Benchao Li was added to the PMC on 2023-01-27
- Alex Plehanov was added as committer on 2023-01-06
- Jiajun Xie was added as committer on 2023-02-10
- Istvan Toth was added as committer on 2023-01-25

## Project Activity:
Apache Calcite 1.34.0 was released on 2023-03-14. It contains contributions
from 18 contributors, and resolves 34 issues. It’s worth highlighting the
introduction of QUALIFY clause (CALCITE-5268), which facilitates filtering the
results of window functions. Among other improvements and fixes, it adds
roughly 15 new functions in BigQuery library for handling dates, times, and
timestamps.

Apache Calcite 1.33.0 was released on 2023-02-06. It contains contributions
from 33 contributors, and resolves 107 issues. It’s worth highlighting the
support for custom time frames (CALCITE-5155), the new MEASURE type and
AGGREGATE aggregate function (CALCITE-5105) as well as the many improvements
to the BigQuery dialect (CALCITE-5180).

Apache Calcite Avatica 1.23.0 was released on 2023-01-19. It fixes bugs in
Statement.getUpdateCount(), ResultSet.getObject; and supports HTTP_BAD_REQUEST
and configuring fetch size and SSL key-store type. Also, there are various
improvements to DateTimeUtils and ByteString.

On 2023-03-15, there was an online meetup of the Calcite community with
approximately 50 participants joining the call. We had three very interesting
presentations around adding measures in SQL, incremental view maintenance for
streaming engines, and debugging planner issues, followed by open discussion.
The videos from the meetup as well as the slides were published online shortly
after the event.

## Community Health:
The project remains super healthy and there is a general increase in traffic
almost in every aspect of the project (dev@, JIRA, and GitHub).

The most notable increase in traffic was for dev mailing list (46%). One
factor that led to this increase is the addition of four new members in the
project and the traditional welcoming emails that usually come along. Another
one, would probably be the various discussion/votes around releases; we had
more this quarter compared to our usual cadence. Last there were also some
changes in the CI (SonarCloud intergration) that sparked some additional
exchanges.

The number of non-committer (contributor) commits per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        | contributor_commits |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2023                | 1                   | 20                  |
| 2023                | 2                   | 15                  |
| 2023                | 3                   | 17                  |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

The number of active reviewers per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        |  active_reviewers   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2023                | 1                   | 4                   |
| 2023                | 2                   | 5                   |
| 2023                | 3                   | 4                   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

Top-3 reviewers in the last quarter:
+-----------+---------------------+
| committer |       reviews       |
+-----------+---------------------+
| Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> | 34                  |
| Benchao Li <li...@gmail.com> | 9                   |
| Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com> | 4                   |
+-----------+---------------------+

The number of non-commiter commits has almost doubled in the last quarter
which is a good thing. Unfortunately the number of active reviewers is
still pretty low and few individuals namely Julian Hyde, and Benchao Li
are pulling almost all the weight of reviewing contributors work.

Re: Draft: board report for 2023 Q1

Posted by Chunwei Lei <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1 Thanks Stamatis!

Best,