Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Fr...@leomedia.org on 2003/02/24 17:38:31 UTC

Xalan-C++ with ICU as binary or simple step-by-step-instructions?

Hello, everybody!

Due to problems with MacRoman output and sorting of  language-specific
special characters, I have the choice of either using the xalan-j version
or an icu enabled build of xalan-c++.
But xalan-j is much more slower than the c++ version, so there is not
really a choice...

Since I never got Xalan with ICU compile correctly (or at all), are there
any step-by-step instructions to get xalan-C++ with Xerces and ICU to
compile correctly or are there any locations from which I could download an
icu-enabled version of xalan-c++ for ix86-linux?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Frank-Ralph Reiser

Re: Xalan-C++ with ICU as binary or simple step-by-step-instructions?

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Frank,

This shouldn't be too difficult to do.  The first step is to download the
correct version of the ICU for the version of Xalan you're using and make
and install it.  The ICU comes with documentation that describes the make
process, but it's not terribly difficult.

Then, to build Xalan with ICU integration, you define some environment
variables:

   export XALAN_USE_ICU=1
   export ICUROOT="<path where you installed the ICU>"

Note that if you installed ICU into the default location, /usr/local,
there's no need to define ICUROOT.

If you want Xerces to use the ICU transcoders, you'll have to rebuild
Xerces.  You'll need the ICUROOT variable defined for Xerces (even if you
installed the ICU in /usr/local) and you'll have to define the transcoder
system to be the ICU, using the -t option of runConfigure.

You should give it try and report back any problems you have.

Dave

                      Frank.Reiser@leo
                      media.org                To:      "'xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org'" <xa...@xml.apache.org>
                                               cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                      02/24/2003 08:38         Subject: Xalan-C++ with ICU as binary or simple step-by-step-instructions?
                      AM