Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Sid Tantia <si...@baseboxsoftware.com> on 2015/06/26 22:20:12 UTC

Is it okay to use a small t2.micro instance for OpsCenter and use m3.medium instances for the actual Cassandra nodes?

Hello, I haven’t been able to find any documentation for best practices on this…is it okay to set up opscenter as a smaller node than the rest of the cluster.

For instance, on AWS can I have 3 m3.medium nodes for Cassandra and 1 t2.micro node for OpsCenter?

Re: Is it okay to use a small t2.micro instance for OpsCenter and use m3.medium instances for the actual Cassandra nodes?

Posted by arun sirimalla <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sid,

I would recommend you to use either c3s or m3s instances for Opscenter and
for Cassandra nodes it depends on your use case.
You can go with either c3s or i2s for Cassandra nodes. But i would
recommend you to run performance tests before selecting the instance type.
If your use case requires more CPU i would recommend  c3s.

--
Arun
Senior Hadoop/Cassandra Engineer

2014 Data Impact Award Winner (Cloudera)
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/campaign/data-impact-awards.html

Posted by Sid Tantia <si...@baseboxsoftware.com>.
So OpsCenter doesn’t have to be the same size but it’s better if it’s at least a c3 or m3 instance? Also, is it possible to set up a cluster with OpsCenter as a different size using the Datastax AMI?

Thanks,

Sid

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@eventbrite.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
It doesn't need to be the same size. It's not part of the cluster.