Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Emmanuel Bernard <em...@hibernate.org> on 2008/11/05 21:06:10 UTC

IndexReader.open(File, readOnly)

Hello
I was converting some code to 2.4 and realized that there is no "read-
only" version for the open method taking File as a parameter.
Is that intentional? Should I open a JIRA issue?

Re: IndexReader.open(File, readOnly)

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Well... I didn't add it (and open(String path, boolean readOnly))
because I was hoping to keep the combinatoric explosion in check (eg
IndexWriter's ctors scare me).

Also, looking forward to 3.0, when the plan is to have
IndexReader.open return a readOnly reader by default, I think it
should only be the complex/expert methods that take a readOnly param,
on the thinking that most users would not need to change it.

But I don't feel very strongly about it -- if you think we need two
more IndexReader.open's, I don't mind adding it...

Mike