Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/29 15:26:40 UTC

The Value of a Property in a Drop-Down Menu

My Collection, PageBeans (plural), generates a
drop-down list like this:

property="name" labelProperty="name"/>

Each individual bean, PageBean (singular), in the
Collection has two properties; name and groupID.  I
want to display 'name' in the drop down list.
However, I want the 'value' of 'groupID' to be
submitted when users click on the Submit button.

Therefore, the statement in the servlet:

String selected = request.getParameter( "document" );

picks up the value of the 'groupID' instead.  Do I
change the generation of the drop-down menu:

property="groupID" labelProperty="name"/>

Re: The Value of a Property in a Drop-Down Menu

Posted by Matt Bathje <mp...@ntsource.com>.
Caroline Jen wrote:
> My Collection, PageBeans (plural), generates a
> drop-down list like this:

> property="name" labelProperty="name"/>
>
> Each individual bean, PageBean (singular), in the
> Collection has two properties; name and groupID.  I
> want to display 'name' in the drop down list.
> However, I want the 'value' of 'groupID' to be
> submitted when users click on the Submit button.
>
> Therefore, the statement in the servlet:
>
> String selected = request.getParameter( "document" );
>
> picks up the value of the 'groupID' instead.  Do I
> change the generation of the drop-down menu:

> property="groupID" labelProperty="name"/>

Yes, that should work - "property" holds the values that will be passed
with the form, and "labelProperty" holds the labels that will be seen by
the user.

Matt