Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org> on 2023/01/16 10:16:05 UTC

[VOTE] PIP-243: Register Jackson Java 8 support modules by default

Hello community,

I'm starting the VOTE for PIP-243: Register Jackson Java 8 support modules by default.

Motivation:
Jackson has a separate Java 8 support modules for adding support for proper serialization and deserialization of new classes that were added in Java 8 (Java 8 was released in 2014).

These Jackson Java 8 support modules haven't been used in the Pulsar code base. This is a pity. This causes a lot of pain when using Java Time classes in Pulsar applications or Pulsar Functions. There are ways to get the classes working for applications, but the documentation is missing. It would make things easier if the Java 8 support modules for Jackson would be included and registered by default.

For more details please find the detailed PIP at:
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues/19243

Discussion Thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/9bxs90q0m5phhytz6480b6fcnfclxt3s

Proposed changes:
https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/19161

Re: [VOTE] PIP-243: Register Jackson Java 8 support modules by default

Posted by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org>.
I'm closing the vote for PIP-243. Thanks for the participation.
Vote result +5  (+3 binding, +2 other)
"PIP-243: Register Jackson Java 8 support modules by default" is now accepted. I have also updated the status in the list of PIPs at https://github.com/apache/pulsar/wiki.

-Lari

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Enrico

Posted by Christophe Bornet <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "rxl@apache.org" <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

Xiaolong Ran

Re: [VOTE] PIP-243: Register Jackson Java 8 support modules by default

Posted by Nicolò Boschi <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Nicolò Boschi

Posted by Lari Hotari <lh...@apache.org>.