Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2004/03/12 22:54:02 UTC

Re: Using Maven (or something similar) for dependencies?

Ugo Cei wrote:

> Reinhard Pötz wrote:
>
>> And instead of investing to much time in all those things we should
>> make CocoonBlocks become reality ASAP because they will solve those
>> dependencies very elgantly.
>

> I'd say *most* of those dependencies, but not all of them. Flowscript is
> part of the core, for instance.

very true, real block are not enough.

We need two systems: a higher level one (real blocks) and a lower level
one (jars).

There are two ways of doing a package distributor:

  1) package it yourself [rpm,deb,war]
  2) provide metadata and tools [port,gentoo]

I came to the conclusion (also after working with gump for a while) that
2) is the way to go. [thanks to Pier for opening my eyes on this!]

but the painful thing is that not all jars are distributable standalone
for legal reasons.

--
Stefano.