Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by fr...@free.fr on 2007/08/02 17:27:14 UTC

Testimonial

As Julien suggested, I try to wrote a small testimonial on Mina.

Mina was the rock that was missing in my project when we started to
think about it. When I found it, one year ago, I started very quickly my
project (OpenLSD for Open Legacy Storage Document as a framework for
document archiving for huge storage (more than 1 peta bytes, 1000 tera bytes)).
Its first version was ready for integration around 9 mounths later.
After three months, we have done the integration process and we will be in the
production step about 1 year and a half after the beginning of this project.
We found no particular problems that weren't address by Mina's mailing list.
The next 6 months will be used to fully qualify the solution in a production
environment and using also two new relatives projects: OpenLSM (Legacy Storage
Mail) for eMail archiving framework based on OpenLSD and ThunderBird and
OpenR66 (Route 66) since we need a file transfer monitor for both projects that
mimics professional file transfer monitor but in Java and efficient (not
stopping after 10 000 file transfers like the pro one), thanks to Mina again.

And for implementation details, it is an example of DemuxingIoHandler and
Serialization based application.
One reason was that we want to ensure multiple information type from data,
but we don't want to take care about complex protocol, so object serialization
was our best try (as far as we know). Also we mix Mina, Tomcat, JDBC
(Oracle/PostGreSQL/MySQL) in this project with no big problem.

And for performance point:
Performance are OK for us since we rich around 1400 file of 10KB imports by
second and around 350/700/1000 web requests of the same kind of documents by
second with 400 differents virtual users with 1/2/3 Tomcat servers using Mina
as the network layout between Tomcats and the final OpenLSD server.
Tomcat servers are on an Intel Blade Center (two Intel Xeon Processors running
on Suse 9.0 and 10.0 in 64B mode) and OpenLSD Server are on an AIX IBM P595
server (64 Power5 Processors but limited to 8 CPU) using IBM JDK 1.5 in 64B
version.

Of course, you can correct, rewrite this testimonial if this is too long
(I think it is) or for any particular reason so as to fit your wishes.

Again: Thank you!
Frederic

Re: Testimonial

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Fred,

Comment below...

On 8/3/07, Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:27:14 +0200
> fred.bregier@free.fr wrote:
>
> > As Julien suggested, I try to wrote a small testimonial on Mina.
> >
> > Mina was the rock that was missing in my project when we started to
> > think about it. When I found it, one year ago, I started very quickly
> > my project (OpenLSD for Open Legacy Storage Document as a framework
> > for document archiving for huge storage (more than 1 peta bytes, 1000
> > tera bytes)). Its first version was ready for integration around 9
> > mounths later. After three months, we have done the integration
> > process and we will be in the production step about 1 year and a half
> > after the beginning of this project. We found no particular problems
> > that weren't address by Mina's mailing list. The next 6 months will
> > be used to fully qualify the solution in a production environment and
> > using also two new relatives projects: OpenLSM (Legacy Storage Mail)
> > for eMail archiving framework based on OpenLSD and ThunderBird and
> > OpenR66 (Route 66) since we need a file transfer monitor for both
> > projects that mimics professional file transfer monitor but in Java
> > and efficient (not stopping after 10 000 file transfers like the pro
> > one), thanks to Mina again.
> >

> > And for implementation details, it is an example of DemuxingIoHandler
> > and Serialization based application.
> > One reason was that we want to ensure multiple information type from
> > data, but we don't want to take care about complex protocol, so
> > object serialization was our best try (as far as we know). Also we
> > mix Mina, Tomcat, JDBC (Oracle/PostGreSQL/MySQL) in this project with
> > no big problem.
> >
> > And for performance point:
> > Performance are OK for us since we rich around 1400 file of 10KB
> > imports by second and around 350/700/1000 web requests of the same
> > kind of documents by second with 400 differents virtual users with
> > 1/2/3 Tomcat servers using Mina as the network layout between Tomcats
> > and the final OpenLSD server. Tomcat servers are on an Intel Blade
> > Center (two Intel Xeon Processors running on Suse 9.0 and 10.0 in 64B
> > mode) and OpenLSD Server are on an AIX IBM P595 server (64 Power5
> > Processors but limited to 8 CPU) using IBM JDK 1.5 in 64B version.
> >
> > Of course, you can correct, rewrite this testimonial if this is too
> > long (I think it is) or for any particular reason so as to fit your
> > wishes.
> >
> > Again: Thank you!
> > Frederic
>
> Thank you !
>
> Added it to the wiki, it'll be pushed to website soon.

I think it's too long to be listed in the testimonials page.  What
about shortening a little bit like other people's testimonials?

Thanks,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP Key ID: 0x0255ECA6

Re: Testimonial

Posted by Julien Vermillard <jv...@archean.fr>.
fred.bregier@free.fr wrote:

> As Julien suggested, I try to wrote a small testimonial on Mina.
>
> Mina was the rock that was missing in my project when we started to
> think about it. When I found it, one year ago, I started very quickly
> my project (OpenLSD for Open Legacy Storage Document as a framework
> for document archiving for huge storage (more than 1 peta bytes, 1000
> tera bytes)). Its first version was ready for integration around 9
> mounths later. After three months, we have done the integration
> process and we will be in the production step about 1 year and a half
> after the beginning of this project. We found no particular problems
> that weren't address by Mina's mailing list. The next 6 months will
> be used to fully qualify the solution in a production environment and
> using also two new relatives projects: OpenLSM (Legacy Storage Mail)
> for eMail archiving framework based on OpenLSD and ThunderBird and
> OpenR66 (Route 66) since we need a file transfer monitor for both
> projects that mimics professional file transfer monitor but in Java
> and efficient (not stopping after 10 000 file transfers like the pro
> one), thanks to Mina again.
>

> And for implementation details, it is an example of DemuxingIoHandler
> and Serialization based application.
> One reason was that we want to ensure multiple information type from
> data, but we don't want to take care about complex protocol, so
> object serialization was our best try (as far as we know). Also we
> mix Mina, Tomcat, JDBC (Oracle/PostGreSQL/MySQL) in this project with
> no big problem.
>
> And for performance point:
> Performance are OK for us since we rich around 1400 file of 10KB
> imports by second and around 350/700/1000 web requests of the same
> kind of documents by second with 400 differents virtual users with
> 1/2/3 Tomcat servers using Mina as the network layout between Tomcats
> and the final OpenLSD server. Tomcat servers are on an Intel Blade
> Center (two Intel Xeon Processors running on Suse 9.0 and 10.0 in 64B
> mode) and OpenLSD Server are on an AIX IBM P595 server (64 Power5
> Processors but limited to 8 CPU) using IBM JDK 1.5 in 64B version.
>
> Of course, you can correct, rewrite this testimonial if this is too
> long (I think it is) or for any particular reason so as to fit your
> wishes.
>
> Again: Thank you!
> Frederic

Thank you !

Added it to the wiki, it'll be pushed to website soon.

Julien