Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Saurabh Nanda <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/01 06:03:17 UTC

SequenceFile compression on Amazon EMR not very good

 Hi,

The size of my Gzipped weblog files is about 35MB. However, upon enabling
block compression, and inserting the logs into another Hive table
(sequencefile), the file size bloats up to about 233MB. I've done similar
processing on a local Hadoop/Hive cluster, and while the compressions is not
as good as gzipping, it still is not this bad. What could be going wrong?

I looked at the header of the resulting file and here's what it says:

SEQ^F"org.apache.hadoop.io.BytesWritable^Yorg.apache.hadoop.io.Text^A^@'org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.GzipCodec

Does Amazon Elastic MapReduce behave differently or am I doing something
wrong?

Saurabh.
--
http://nandz.blogspot.com
http://foodieforlife.blogspot.com

Re: SequenceFile compression on Amazon EMR not very good

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.
hive.exec.compress.output controls whether or not to compress hive
output. (This overrides mapred.output.compress in Hive).

All other compression flags are from hadoop. Please see
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.18.0/hadoop-default.html

Zheng

Posted by Saurabh Nanda <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Saurabh Nanda <sa...@gmail.com>.