Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Guus der Kinderen <Gu...@nimbuzz.com> on 2006/07/12 16:15:01 UTC

Axis not unloading from PermGen

Dear List,

I'm hoping someone can help me with the (memory-related) problem that we're
experiencing.

We're using a Java-based server application that lets us create and use
plugins. We've written a plugin that makes use of the Jetty Servlet engine
provided by that server application. In our plugin, we deploy Axis in that
Jetty instance. Finally, we deploy SOAP services using the AdminClient.
Those services work fine, life is good.

Lately, we've been experiencing OutOfMemoryExceptions, indicating that the
permanent generation of our JVM has reached its maximum capacity. As a
workaround, we've increased our maximum PermGen space. After that, we
searched for the cause of PermGen maxing out.

We've found that the Jetty/Axis plugin doesn't unload from PermGen (as other
plugins do) after it has been shutdown. After a reload, new space is
allocated in PermGen, causing it to fill up.

After debugging our plugin, we've found that using a HelloWorld WebApp
instead of Axis causes the plugin to unload from PermGen just fine - The
plugin won't unload when we use Axis though. We've tried to unload all Axis
services and handlers before we unload the Jetty context in which Axis is
running, but this doesn't solve our problem.

Can anyone suggest what to try next?

Kind regards,

Guus der Kinderen

Buzzaa Media Group B.V.
Patrijsweg 102
2289 EZ  RIJSWIJK (ZH)
the Netherlands

RE: Axis not unloading from PermGen

Posted by Guus der Kinderen <Gu...@nimbuzz.com>.
For future reference: my problem seems related to Axis2 JIRA issue number
595. More information on http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-595

Since yesterday I've tried a couple of other setups hoping that one of those
would solve my problems. Sadly, the same problem persists using Axis 1.3,
1.4 or Axis2 1.0.

Posted by Guus der Kinderen <Gu...@nimbuzz.com>.