Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Shantanu Sen <ss...@pacbell.net> on 2004/01/09 21:58:31 UTC

question regarding WSDL and WS-Security

Please point me to the correct forum if you know where
I should post this question.

As far as I know, currently there is no extension in
WSDL  for WS-Security. In other words, looking at a
WSDL there is no way to figure out if the service
expects security information as specified in
WS-Security in the header/body of the SOAP envelope.

If this is true, how does a client know how to send
the correct SOAP message to the service i.e. how does
it know to add the required security info?

Thanks for any info regarding this.

Shantanu Sen

Re: question regarding WSDL and WS-Security

Posted by Ricky Ho <ri...@cisco.com>.
Here is what I'm thinking ...

WSDL Binding have some extensibility that you can declare which part to
encrypt.  But I probably will go with another route, describe as follows ...

There is a WSDL and WS-Policy, which part to be encrypted will be described
in the WS-Policy.

The communication path will look like ...
ClientApp -> ClientSideGateway -> Network -> ServerSideGateway -> ServerApp

ClientApp & ServerApp - cares only WSDL
ClientSideGateway & ServerSideGateway - cares only WS-Policy

Rgds, Ricky

Posted by Shantanu Sen <ss...@pacbell.net>.

Posted by Ricky Ho <ri...@cisco.com>.
There is a nice separation between application processing and
infrastructure processing.  WSDL describes the former and WS-Policy
describe the later.

If you are writing application code, you shouldn't care about WS-Policy
(and WS-Security), you only care about WSDL.  The underlying infrastructure