Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Bjoern Thalheim <bj...@gmx.de> on 2010/02/10 17:39:31 UTC

XSSFWorkBook is not in poi-3.6.jar

Hello,

I would like to use XSSFWorkBook.
All documentation says, I should just use:
    WorkBook wb = new XSSFWorkBook(InputStream).

My problem is: The class XSSFWorkbook is not contained in the JAR which I get when I fetch version 3.6 of POI with maven by using:
    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.poi</groupId>
      <artifactId>poi</artifactId>
      <version>3.6</version>
    </dependency>
It is contained in the source distribution, though.

How come this class is not packed into the binary distribution of version 3.6 of POI? Is it a build error. Was there a change and documentation has just not caught up on that change?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Björn

Re: XSSFWorkBook is not in poi-3.6.jar

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
>> My problem is: The class XSSFWorkbook is not contained in the JAR
>> which I get when I fetch version 3.6 of POI with maven by using:
>>   <dependency>
>>     <groupId>org.apache.poi</groupId>
>>     <artifactId>poi</artifactId>
>>     <version>3.6</version>
>>   </dependency>
>
> That's because you didn't include all the POI artificats. If you
> want to use XSSF, make sure you also include poi-ooxml, and one of
> the ooxml schema artificats (either full or poi-ooxml-schemas for
> the common bits)

The maven artifact ids are documented on http://poi.apache.org/overview.html

Suggestions for improvements to the documentation are welcome.

BTW - We offer the split because many users of POI were only
interested in the binary format and the full ooxml distribution is
much larger. The split between poi and poi-scratchpad is to
accommodate people who are only interested in Excel which is the most
mature part of the project.

Perhaps we should consider a maven artifact called poi-all that gives
the maven user all of poi with poi-ooxml-schemas? Such a contribution
would be welcome. The maven artifact scripts are in the build, these
were recently done by Yegor for POI 3.6 release.

Regards,
Dave

Re: XSSFWorkBook is not in poi-3.6.jar

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Bjoern Thalheim wrote:
> My problem is: The class XSSFWorkbook is not contained in the JAR which
> I get when I fetch version 3.6 of POI with maven by using:
>    <dependency>
>      <groupId>org.apache.poi</groupId>
>      <artifactId>poi</artifactId>
>      <version>3.6</version>
>    </dependency>

That's because you didn't include all the POI artificats. If you want to
use XSSF, make sure you also include poi-ooxml, and one of the ooxml
schema artificats (either full or poi-ooxml-schemas for the common bits)

Nick