Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Isaac Bentley <is...@shocase.com> on 2014/07/17 23:09:32 UTC

ApacheDS 2.0 M17 - Can't setup a referral

Hello,
I’ve tried to get reaffirmation about how to enable referrals on ApacheDS 2.0 but I’m hitting a mental road block. Specifically, I want to enable 'referral on update' but I don’t believe this is supported in ApacheDS. So instead, I want have all LDAP requests go to the replicated Master server instead for all request requesting “ou=users”. But I’m getting a schema error when I try to populate the “ref” value because I’m adding a second structural ObjectClass “referral” when there’s “organizationUnit” is already in-place and there can only be one structural ObjectClass at a time...

Is there any documentation or examples of how referrals can be done for ApacheDS 2.0?

I’ve started a clean Apache DS 2.0 from Apache Studio to simplify the error environment and here is the result that I can replicate:

#!RESULT OK
#!CONNECTION ldap://localhost:10390
#!DATE 2014-07-17T20:50:46.651
dn: ou=users,dc=example,dc=com
changetype: add
objectClass: organizationalUnit
objectClass: top
ou: users

#!RESULT ERROR
#!CONNECTION ldap://localhost:10390
#!DATE 2014-07-17T20:52:59.450
#!ERROR [LDAP: error code 65 - OBJECT_CLASS_VIOLATION: failed for MessageType : MODIFY_REQUEST Message ID : 16     Modify Request         Object : 'ou=users,dc=example,dc=com'             Modification[0]                 Operation :  add                 Modification ref: ldap://ldap-1.example.com:10389/             Modification[1]                 Operation :  add                 Modification objectClass: extensibleObject objectClass: referral org.apache.directory.api.ldap.model.message.ModifyRequestImpl@e6f12221    ManageDsaITImpl Control         Type OID    : '2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.2'         Criticality : 'false' ' : ERR_61 Entry ou=users,dc=example,dc=com contains more than one STRUCTURAL ObjectClass: [OBJECT_CLASS ( 2.5.6.5  NAME 'organizationalUnit'  DESC RFC2256: an organizational unit  SUP 'top'  STRUCTURAL  MUST 'ou'  MAY ( 'userPassword' $ 'searchGuide' $ 'seeAlso' $ 'businessCategory' $ 'x121Address' $ 'registeredAddress' $ 'destinationIndicator' $ 'preferredDeliveryMethod' $ 'telexNumber' $ 'teletexTerminalIdentifier' $ 'telephoneNumber' $ 'internationaliSDNNumber' $ 'facsimileTelephoneNumber' $ 'street' $ 'postOfficeBox' $ 'postalCode' $ 'postalAddress' $ 'physicalDeliveryOfficeName' $ 'st' $ 'l' $ 'description' )  ) , OBJECT_CLASS ( 2.16.840.1.113730.3.2.6  NAME 'referral'  DESC namedref: named subordinate referral  SUP 'top'  STRUCTURAL  MUST 'ref'  ) ]]
dn: ou=users,dc=example,dc=com
control: 2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.2 false
changetype: modify
add: ref
ref: ldap://ldap-1.example.com:10389/
-
add: objectClass
objectClass: extensibleObject
objectClass: referral

- Isaac

Re: ApacheDS 2.0 M17 - Can't setup a referral

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 17/07/2014 23:09, Isaac Bentley a écrit :
> Hello,
> I’ve tried to get reaffirmation about how to enable referrals on ApacheDS 2.0 but I’m hitting a mental road block. Specifically, I want to enable 'referral on update' but I don’t believe this is supported in ApacheDS. So instead, I want have all LDAP requests go to the replicated Master server instead for all request requesting “ou=users”. But I’m getting a schema error when I try to populate the “ref” value because I’m adding a second structural ObjectClass “referral” when there’s “organizationUnit” is already in-place and there can only be one structural ObjectClass at a time...

Which make sense....

A referral is a reference to another entry. Obviously, it can't hold
some data itself.

Think about referrals as linux symbolic links, for instance.

You should replace the ObjectClass attribute instead of adding new values.