Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Konstantin Knauf <kn...@apache.org> on 2022/01/13 08:30:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] Future of Per-Job Mode

Hi everyone,

I would like to discuss and understand if the benefits of having Per-Job
Mode in Apache Flink outweigh its drawbacks.

*# Background: Flink's Deployment Modes*
Flink currently has three deployment modes. They differ in the following
dimensions:
* main() method executed on Jobmanager or Client
* dependencies shipped by client or bundled with all nodes
* number of jobs per cluster & relationship between job and cluster
lifecycle* (supported resource providers)

## Application Mode
* main() method executed on Jobmanager
* dependencies already need to be available on all nodes
* dedicated cluster for all jobs executed from the same main()-method
(Note: applications with more than one job, currently still significant
limitations like missing high-availability). Technically, a session cluster
dedicated to all jobs submitted from the same main() method.
* supported by standalone, native kubernetes, YARN

## Session Mode
* main() method executed in client
* dependencies are distributed from and by the client to all nodes
* cluster is shared by multiple jobs submitted from different clients,
independent lifecycle
* supported by standalone, Native Kubernetes, YARN

## Per-Job Mode
* main() method executed in client
* dependencies are distributed from and by the client to all nodes
* dedicated cluster for a single job
* supported by YARN only

*# Reasons to Keep** There are use cases where you might need the
combination of a single job per cluster, but main() method execution in the
client. This combination is only supported by per-job mode.
* It currently exists. Existing users will need to migrate to either
session or application mode.

*# Reasons to Drop** With Per-Job Mode and Application Mode we have two
modes that for most users probably do the same thing. Specifically, for
those users that don't care where the main() method is executed and want to
submit a single job per cluster. Having two ways to do the same thing is
confusing.
* Per-Job Mode is only supported by YARN anyway. If we keep it, we should
work towards support in Kubernetes and Standalone, too, to reduce special
casing.
* Dropping per-job mode would reduce complexity in the code and allow us to
dedicate more resources to the other two deployment modes.
* I believe with session mode and application mode we have to easily
distinguishable and understandable deployment modes that cover Flink's use
cases:
   * session mode: olap-style, interactive jobs/queries, short lived batch
jobs, very small jobs, traditional cluster-centric deployment mode (fits
the "Hadoop world")
   * application mode: long-running streaming jobs, large scale &
heterogenous jobs (resource isolation!), application-centric deployment
mode (fits the "Kubernetes world")

*# Call to Action*
* Do you use per-job mode? If so, why & would you be able to migrate to one
of the other methods?
* Am I missing any pros/cons?
* Are you in favor of dropping per-job mode midterm?

Cheers and thank you,

Konstantin

--

Konstantin Knauf

https://twitter.com/snntrable

https://github.com/knaufk

Re: [DISCUSS] Future of Per-Job Mode

Posted by Biao Geng <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Konstantin,

Thanks a lot for starting this discussion! I hope my thoughts and
experiences why users use Per-Job Mode, especially in YARN can help:
#1. Per-job mode makes managing dependencies easier: I have met some
customers who used Per-Job Mode to submit jobs with a lot of local
user-defined jars by using '-C' option directly. They do not need to upload
these jars to some remote file system(e.g. HDFS) first, which makes their
life easier.
#2. In YARN mode, currently, there are some limitations of Application Mode:
in this jira(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-24897) that I am
working on, we find that YARN Application Mode do not support `usrlib` very
well, which makes it hard to use FlinkUserCodeClassLoader to load classes
in user-defined jars.

I believe above 2 points, especially #2, can be reassured as we enhance the
YARN Application Mode later but I think it is worthwhile to consider
dependency management more carefully before we make decisions.

Best,
Biao Geng

Konstantin Knauf <kn...@apache.org> 于2022年1月13日周四 16:32写道:

Posted by Biao Geng <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Konstantin,

#2. In YARN mode, currently, there are some limitations of Application Mode:

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@ververica.com>.
Hi all,
I agree with Xintong's comment: Reducing the number of deployment modes
would help users. There is a clearer distinction between session mode and
the two other deployment modes (i.e. application and job mode). The
difference between application and job mode is not that easy to grasp for
newcomers, I imagine. It would also help cleaning up some job-mode-specific
code segments in the source code.

It would be interesting to see whether there are other use-cases that are
missed in the Application mode (besides the ones already addressed by
Biao). I would second Xintong's proposal of deprecating the job-mode rather
soonish making users aware of the plans around that deployment mode. That
might help encourage users to speak up in case they are not able to find a
solution to work around deprecation warnings.

I also agree with Xintong's assessment that dropping it should only be done
after we're sure that all relevant use cases are met also by other
deployment modes considering that (based on the comments above) it is a
widely used deployment mode.

Matthias

Posted by Matthias Pohl <ma...@ververica.com>.
Hi all,