Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@houston.rr.com> on 2005/06/28 18:02:21 UTC

Re: Log4j 1.2.9 at ibiblio

On Jun 28, 2005, at 12:30 AM, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a maven PMC member and responsible of mantaining the maven repo at
> ibiblio. We're getting requests to upload the latest log4j 1.2.9. The
> point is that apache projects should use the apache java repo at
> www.apache.org/dist/java-repository (that it's synced to ibiblio), so
> could you put this jar there?
> (/www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/log4j/jars at
> people.apache.org)
>
> Thanks
>
> Carlos Sanchez

The latest 1.2.x is 1.2.11 which was released last week.  It is a
minor maintenance release which fixes a build issue which caused the
JMSAppender to be missing.  (1.2.10 was recalled).

I do have not objections, but I really have little idea of what is
being asked and could find very little in the way of documentation
for java-repository.  The best I could find is similar responses from
other projects (Batik in particular) when they were asked to add
their jars.  It would seem like a very strange piece of social
engineering, but I'm always a little leery.

I looked at dist/java-repository/log4j, the license files are still
ASL 1.1 not 2.0.  Should those be updated as well?  I saw that there
were MD5 hashes, but didn't see any PGP signatures for jars in my
browsing.

I assume that you could probably do the task yourself as you are as
or more likely to have write access to dist/java-repository than any
of the log4j committers.  The sources are already in www.apache.org,
so you could extract the jars from the distributions in your shell
accound on cvs.apache.org.

As far as I can gather, the following should be close (once for
log4j-1.2.9 and log4j-1.2.11 please)

ssh -l username cvs.apache.org
tar -xvzf /www/www.apache.org/dist/logging/log4j/logging-
log4j-1.2.9.tar.gz logging-log4j-1.2.9/dist/lib/log4j-1.2.9.jar
cd logging-log4j-1.2.9/dist/lib
openssl md5 < log4j-1.2.9.jar > log4j-1.2.9.jar.md5
cp log4j-1.2.9.jar* /www/www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/log4j/jars

p.s.: I having problems originating mail from my apache.org address.
I noticed that you weren't using yours either.  Please let me know
off-list if you are having problems too.

Re: Log4j 1.2.9 at ibiblio

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@gmail.com>.
I've the jars and md5 files ready at
http://people.apache.org/~carlos/log4j/ but I couldn't copy them to
the repo because seems there's an issue with group permissions (I've
already notified infrastructure).

I agree that for next times you should deploy there as part of the
releasing process.

Regards

Re: Log4j 1.2.9 at ibiblio

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@gmail.com>.
I've just copied there the jars, please do that for next releases.

Regards

Re: Log4j 1.2.9 at ibiblio

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: Log4j 1.2.9 at ibiblio