Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/14 19:29:15 UTC

Should GEP open the Geronimo console in a big external browser window instead of the small internal browser window in eclipse?

When running/interacting with a Geronimo server in eclipse using GEP,
in the servers view there is a popup menu option of launching a
console window.  Currently, this console window opens inside eclipse,
in a small internal window.  I just recently discovered that is easy
to have this console window open in the user's web browser.  I think
this option is preferable for users, but wanted to get community
feedback before making the change.  It would be good to get this
change into GEP 212, but that window may be closed as it is out for
vote.

Ted Kirby

Re: Should GEP open the Geronimo console in a big external browser window instead of the small internal browser window in eclipse?

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
I don't have a strong preference either way, but do feel that this
should go into a post-2.1.2 release, since it is already out for a vote.

-Donald

Posted by Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Shiva.  I find this option in Preferences -> General -> Web
Browser. This seems to work well, and I think we should add it to our
documentation for GEP.  I did have a problem on the Mac, where I got a
message about "A copy of Firefox is already open.  Only one copy of
Firefox can be open at a time."  This seems strange in that I'd think
Eclipse would just open a new window, not try to launch Firefox
altogether.  However, I changed my external browser setting from
Firefox to default system web browser, and the console came up, as a
new tab in an existing firefox window!

Ted

Posted by Shiva Kumar H R <sh...@gmail.com>.
This preference option is already provided by Eclipse+WTP. See Window -> Web
Browser.

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Ted, I could go either way here. I tend to use the Eclipse Internal web
> browser although the screen size if severely limited in Eclipse. I would
> expect that end-users would like find the external browser more useful
> though. But maybe a preference option is the best way to go as Jacek
> suggests since it would satisfy those who prefer the internal browser, and
> those who don't.....
>

> Ted Kirby wrote:
>
>> When running/interacting with a Geronimo server in eclipse using GEP,
>> in the servers view there is a popup menu option of launching a
>> console window.  Currently, this console window opens inside eclipse,
>> in a small internal window.  I just recently discovered that is easy
>> to have this console window open in the user's web browser.  I think
>> this option is preferable for users, but wanted to get community
>> feedback before making the change.  It would be good to get this
>> change into GEP 212, but that window may be closed as it is out for
>> vote.
>>
>> Ted Kirby

> Tim McConnell

Shiva

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Ted Kirby wrote:
> When running/interacting with a Geronimo server in eclipse using GEP,
> in the servers view there is a popup menu option of launching a
> console window.  Currently, this console window opens inside eclipse,
> in a small internal window.  I just recently discovered that is easy
> to have this console window open in the user's web browser.  I think
> this option is preferable for users, but wanted to get community
> feedback before making the change.  It would be good to get this
> change into GEP 212, but that window may be closed as it is out for
> vote.
>
> Ted Kirby

Tim McConnell

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Ted Kirby <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When running/interacting with a Geronimo server in eclipse using GEP,
> in the servers view there is a popup menu option of launching a
> console window.  Currently, this console window opens inside eclipse,
> in a small internal window.  I just recently discovered that is easy
> to have this console window open in the user's web browser.  I think
> this option is preferable for users, but wanted to get community
> feedback before making the change.  It would be good to get this
> change into GEP 212, but that window may be closed as it is out for
> vote.

I'd go for an configuration option so people could select what they prefer.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski