Posted to users@buildr.apache.org by Joe Van Dyk <jo...@fixieconsulting.com> on 2010/10/15 22:58:32 UTC

Sample buildr project, completely self-hosting

I'm a big fan of easy project setup.  I've just started getting into
the JVM/Scala world, so I'm looking into the best ways to
package/manage software.

I created this sample project: http://github.com/joevandyk/scala-playground

If you have java and git installed, you can check out the project, then run:

export PATH=$PATH:$PWD/vendor/jruby/bin
buildr package

This will compile the scala sources and run the tests and package the
jars.  Notice that you didn't have to install jruby or rubygems or
buildr.  You don't have to download any more software during the
compilation process.  You check out the project and that's all - you
can disconnect your internet and go program on a boat.

I wish more projects would do this sort of thing, instead of requiring
users to install a whole bunch of software, setup environment
variables, etc.

Anyways, buildr looks pretty sweet, digging into it now.

Joe

Re: Sample buildr project, completely self-hosting

Posted by Alex Boisvert <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,

Welcome!   Since you're new to the JVM, I recommend you pick up some
intro/core Java book since you'll need to get familiar with the platform
(and to some extend, the language since it has shaped the platform
profoundly).  Among others, Core
Java<http://www.amazon.com/Core-Java-TM-I-Fundamentals-8th/dp/0132354764>(vol
1 & 2) is often recommended since it's fairly wide and up-to-date.

The Programming in Scala
<http://www.artima.com/shop/programming_in_scala>book is the best I've
read on Scala.  The others are good too.  For web
services on Scala, I'd recommend looking at Scalatra<http://www.scalatra.org/>.
 It's pretty easy to setup and get started.   Lift also does REST web
services but it's got more baggage.

cheers,
alex

Posted by Joe Van Dyk <jo...@fixieconsulting.com>.