Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2011/09/02 09:29:36 UTC

New product type: Product Service

Introduction.
-------------
This new product type represents the service to a particular product
which is brought in by the customer. Examples are “Desktop computer
repair' , 'T-shirt washing' etc. Currently the OFBiz system has a
product type of service but it does not support the the logistics of the
brought in item.

The business process.
---------------------
A customer sends or hands in the product items. An order is created
selecting the related possible products to be serviced, and entering an
inventory location or let the system assign it. The products are brought
to that location waiting for the service to be applied.

When the service is finished, the order is updated with the price if
required and will start the shipment and packing process for the
products to be delivered or picked up. At the same time an invoice is
created with the updated price information from the order. When a
payment is received it can be entered in the system and the transaction
booked to the ledger.

The proposed implementation in OFBiz.
-------------------------------------
     1. When this product type is added to an order it will also be
        required to enter an inventory location so the item can be added
        to the inventory allocating an inventory item when not existing
        and adding the order quantity to it.
     2. After servicing the item, the order will be shipped and packed
        and delivered normally using the standard processes.
     3. The inventory value for this item will be zero in order not to
        affect accounting

please let me know your comments.

--
Ofbiz on twitter: http://twitter.com/apache_ofbiz
Alternative ofbiz website: http://www.ofbiz.info

Re: New product type: Product Service

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
The location argument makes sense, and if I have well understood the "service depot" (asset and assert maint), as Adrian call it
(not sure what it is actually, a facility, a location in a facility?) does not provide this facility?

More trying to understand than anything else at this stage...

Jacques

From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>