Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/07/02 10:09:57 UTC

[RELEASE][3.4.1]: Preparing release notes

Hi,

ok AOO 3.4.1 won't be a feature release but nevertheless I think we
should prepare release notes to give a user friendly overview of what is
going into our upcoming 3.4.1 release.

I have created a new (more or less empty) wiki page to start working on
the release notes for 3.4.1.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes

The following query list all fixed blocker issues for 3.4.1 and can be
used as input for the release notes.

Any volunteers who are interested to start working on it?

Juergen

Re: [RELEASE][3.4.1]: Preparing release notes

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 7/5/12 11:55 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Jürgen Schmidt
> <jo...@googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> Am Dienstag, 3. Juli 2012 um 20:25 schrieb Kay Schenk:

>> is

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes

>>> I can help with this after next week -- after Jul 14. Hopefully that's
>> not
>>> too late.
>>>

>> Perfect and no it is not too late, we plan to release at the end of July.
>> We should try to find a way to create release notes in the future in
>> parallel to our development work and have them more or less ready
>> automatically ;-)
>>
>> Juergen
>>>
>>> --

>>> MzK
>>>
>>> "I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
>>> than a horse that will not fare."
>>> -- Portuguese proverb
>>>

> OK, good...it looks like we'll have quite a number of issues solved judging
> from the reports coming in. I have very limited access to anything until
> the latter part of next week.

it's a micro release with bug fixes mainly. And we will have of course 5
further languages (en-GB, fi, km, sk, sl).

Some further languages have already a good coverage (e.g. ko). We should
do some promotion... When we noticed a volunteer who will start working
on a new language where we already have such a good coverage, we can
support it quite fast.

Let us all spread the knowledge that we are looking for more translation
volunteers for one of the most popular open source programs (> 7 million
downloads of AOO 3.4 since May 8th)

Back to the release notes, we should create a good overview page where
people can get the needed info what's in 3.4.1. More important will be
the release notes for a version where we include new features...

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 9, 2012, at 3:38 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:

> Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> ok AOO 3.4.1 won't be a feature release but nevertheless I think we
>> should prepare release notes to give a user friendly overview of what is
>> going into our upcoming 3.4.1 release.
>>
>> I have created a new (more or less empty) wiki page to start working on
>> the release notes for 3.4.1.
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes
>>
>> The following query list all fixed blocker issues for 3.4.1 and can be
>> used as input for the release notes.
>>
>> Any volunteers who are interested to start working on it?
>>
>> Juergen
>>

> Good Evening;
>
> My name is Keith McKenna and I have been a user of OpenOffice since the late beta of version 2. I figured that it was time that I gave something back to the project.
>
> I started today to add information around the new and updated languages for 3.4.1. Unfortunately I am pretty much a novice with wiki editors and a bit unsure of how to use the tools to automatically add information around bug fixed et al.
>
> I will continue to go through the manual and try to add to my miniscule knowledge and hopefully will be able to provide some other assistance.

Welcome! That was great. Thanks! Looking forward to more.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 7/25/12 8:52 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
> <jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/25/12 8:10 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>>> Hi Jürgen,

>>> The build breaker on hwpfilter is system independent. I already
>>> committed the fix in
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1365265
>>> It is easy to reproduce if you clean comphelper in the solver and do a
>>> build --all in hwpfilter
>>
>> I normally did clean everything before I start a new dev snapshot build,
>> maybe I missed something this time
>>

>>> I didn't take a look at the stlport build breaker, but it look as
>>> something related to parallel build (I use -P8 -- -P4).
>>
>> Ok, we should investigate in this but I don't think that it is a release
>> stopper.
>>
>> Can you confirm that it is a problem with parallel builds only?
>
> mmm no, this is what I suppose, but I didn't look into it yet (must
> reboot my PC to test).
> While this one does not look like a release stopper, the first one
> does (if the source release should be buildable).

let us integrate/merge the first one on AOO34

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Jürgen,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
> > <jo...@googlemail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> ok AOO 3.4.1 won't be a feature release but nevertheless I think we
> >> should prepare release notes to give a user friendly overview of what is
> >> going into our upcoming 3.4.1 release.
> >>
> >> I have created a new (more or less empty) wiki page to start working on
> >> the release notes for 3.4.1.
> >>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes
> >>
> >> The following query list all fixed blocker issues for 3.4.1 and can be
> >> used as input for the release notes.
> >>
> >> Any volunteers who are interested to start working on it?
> >>
> >> Juergen
> >>

> > Final call for contributions on this!
> >
> > Currently:
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes
> >
> > is rather short (and hopefully sweet).
> >
> > A final call for submissions. We should probably plan on finalizing by
> > Friday pm (1800 PDT) if at all possible.
> >
> > The release notes are typically in "html" and ported to the web site, so
> > this wiki page will need to be converted by the time of the 3.4.1
> release.
> > I think this is still slated for the coming Tuesday, July 31
> >

> It would be good to first freeze the content, and then have some time
> to edit the release notes.  I just took an initial pass now, but I'd
> like the opportunity to do more work once the basic content is
> complete.
>
> Remember what we saw from the AOO 3.4.0 release.  Most press articles
> will be written based directly on what we state in the release notes
> and in our release announcement.  So we need to ensure that the
> content is accurate and useful to the user, but also to the
> journalist.
>
> An example of one kind of issue:  we list the new languages and the
> updated languages, but not the languages that are carried over from
> 3.4.0.  Similarly we say there are no new platforms, but we don't list
> what platforms are supported.   Not all users are upgrading from
> 3.4.0.  Some will see AOO for the first time with 3.4.1.  So we should
> be giving more information, the full picture.  For example:
> additional languages are available via language packs, more templates
> and extensions can be found here, etc.
>
> Again, I can help edit and fill in the details, once we have the basic
> technical contents for the AOO 3.4.1 added.
>
> -Rob

Rob--

Nice changes and of course you are right about technical details. I'm
hoping one the folks more intimately involved with development can weigh in
soon. I tried to do some of this by looking at the svn commits and
comments, but this is probably not sufficient for better explanations.

As for myself, well, I'm thinking release notes are NOT my strong suit. :/
.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:16 PM, Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kay,
>   From the query of *Resolved341ReleaseBlocker*, I can find 96 bugs of
> critical or blocker fixed in 3.4.1. I wonder if we should refer this query
> in release notes (
>
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/buglist.cgi?cmdtype=runnamed&namedcmd=Resolved341ReleaseBlocker
> )?
>   And also I feel it is not very clear about the sentence of "There were
> quite a number of non-critical issues over the same timeframe, May 8, 2012
> until 07/22/2012.". If it means the issues we fixed, I will suggest to
> replace "non-critical" to "other", since many of them are critical issues,
> as I got from the query above.
>   Thanks!
>
> - Simon

Hi Simon--

OK, I will recheck what I did. Some filtering issues on my part no doubt.
Truthfully, I was getting what I would call inconsistent results with some
of what I was doing.

This--

"There were
quite a number of non-critical issues over the same timeframe, May 8, 2012
until 07/22/2012."

does not mean issues we fixed but non-critical issues that are still
outstanding, some of which are confirmed, some not.

We could just not mention them at all if you like.

OK, other matters, for this release, should we just be using resolutions
that are specifically targeted to 3.4.1? I think that is where some of my
logic is amiss -- especially based on my research into the svn commits to
the 3.4 branch.

Anyway, I will review this again.

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
Kay,