Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2009/06/25 02:22:59 UTC

back compat policy changes?

(Please remain calm, this is just a request for clarification/summation)

As I slowly catch up on the 9000+ Lucene related emails that I accumulated
during my 2 month hiatus, I notice several rather large threads (i think
totally ~400 messages) on the subject of our back compat policy (where
it works, where it's failing us; where it hurts users because it works as
designed, where it hurts users because it doesn't work as designed; how we
could change it to be better, why we shouldn't change it; etc...)

I won't pretend that i've read all of those messages ... i won't even
pretend that I've skimmed all those messages, but i did skim *some* of
those messages, and in some of the later threads there seemed to be a lot
of concensus about ideas that (as far as i can tell) were not just "leave
things alone".

With that in mind, i was kind of suprised to see that the neither of the
two wiki pages (that i know of) related to backwards compatibility have
been updated since *well* before all of the recent threads...

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/BackwardsCompatibility?action=info
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/Java_1%2e5_Migration?action=info

My request is that someone who was involved in the previous discussions
take a stab at updating one or both of those docs to reflect what the
concensus of the community was.  Other people can then review the diff for
those documentation changes and spot check ewther they feel it reflects
the concensus as they understand it.  But until the written policy has
been changed, our policy (by definition) hasn't really been changed.

 	In short: "Patches Welcome!"

-Hoss

Re: back compat policy changes?

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
Hey Hoss,

Almost everyone agreed to the backwards-compatibility changes I posted
here: JIRA-1698. (It turned out that Shai had proposed an almost
identical proposal in one of the long threads that I admittedly didn't
fully read either).

I suggested to send a note to java-user to get some feedback from the
users. Then we should have an official vote on java-dev to decide
formally if we want to change the policy according to the proposal.

I haven't sent the mail to java-user yet. But it's on my (long) list of
things to do....

  Michael