Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2005/10/19 10:24:55 UTC

[v2] AJAX in views?

Hi all,

lately I worked with AJAX and would like to support v2 with AJAX
out-of-the-box.

WDYT?

There is a ajax-block in cocoon, which is the best way to incorporate
this in existing structurer?
Or is it better to create a new plugin?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [v2] AJAX in views?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 21-10-2005 a las 19:30 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Done. v2 supports now AJAX.
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=327135&view=rev
> >
> > "Added a new class of contracts 'hellper-...' this contracts offering
> > helper classesbut not adding any functionality nor content directly to
> > the page. Added prototype.js which is a jscript framework offering not
> > only ajax support."
>
> Typo alert! That should be "helper-..."
>
> Lets fix that before it becomes embedded.

whoops sorry.

forrest/trunk/whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.themer/resources/templates/default/helper-prototype-ajax.ft

salu2

Re: [v2] AJAX in views?

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Done. v2 supports now AJAX.
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=327135&view=rev
>
> "Added a new class of contracts 'hellper-...' this contracts offering
> helper classesbut not adding any functionality nor content directly to
> the page. Added prototype.js which is a jscript framework offering not
> only ajax support."

Typo alert! That should be "helper-..."

Lets fix that before it becomes embedded.

-David

Re: [v2] AJAX in views?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 21-10-2005 a las 11:24 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Done. v2 supports now AJAX.
> > http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=327135&view=rev
> >
> > "Added a new class of contracts 'hellper-...' this contracts offering
> > helper classesbut not adding any functionality nor content directly to
> > the page. Added prototype.js which is a jscript framework offering not
> > only ajax support."
>
> I said I expected a cool demo yesterday morning, you're late ;-)

jeje, sorry, I was sick and in bed yesterday (but it was ready by
then). ;-)

> Seriously though, cool stuff Thorsten (not looked at it but is *sounds*
> like cool stuff).

Right now it is "just" a demo. A simple example but yeah it is quite
cool.

Just do:
cd $FORREST_HOME/main/template-sites/v2; forrest run
http://localhost:8888/samples.html
...press test and smile. :) ;-)

salu2

Re: [v2] AJAX in views?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Done. v2 supports now AJAX.
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=327135&view=rev
>
> "Added a new class of contracts 'hellper-...' this contracts offering
> helper classesbut not adding any functionality nor content directly to
> the page. Added prototype.js which is a jscript framework offering not
> only ajax support."

I said I expected a cool demo yesterday morning, you're late ;-)

Seriously though, cool stuff Thorsten (not looked at it but is *sounds*
like cool stuff).

Ross

Re: [v2] AJAX in views?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
Done. v2 supports now AJAX.

Re: [v2] AJAX in views?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Re: [v2] AJAX in views?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El mié, 19-10-2005 a las 09:52 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>lately I worked with AJAX and would like to support v2 with AJAX
>>>out-of-the-box.
>>>
>>>WDYT?
>>
>>What is the use case?
>

> ATM no actual use case, but we can use it in e.g. the search contract
> and enable the google suggestions
> http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en. AJAX in general is really
> useful and I have tons of ideas around it. ;-)

I see it is exciting - but I'd rather finish what we started first (I
just mean I don't have the time for that, but if you do, OK).

>>It seems to me that with this Forrest would be moving a long way from a
>>publishing framework and becoming more like Cocoon itself, an
>>application framework. But maybe I'm just bind to the use case.
>

> Hmm, IMO no. contracts are extra-content and/or extra-functionality.
> AJAX is just a way to update parts of the site on user interaction
> without having to reload the whole site.

OK, got that - good idea.

>>>There is a ajax-block in cocoon, which is the best way to incorporate
>>>this in existing structurer?
>>
>>We need Forms to be working first.
>

> Why do you think so?
>
> Forms depend on AJAX (not the other way around, have a look at
> blocks.properties).

Really! My mistake then.

Re: [v2] AJAX in views?

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El mié, 19-10-2005 a las 09:52 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > lately I worked with AJAX and would like to support v2 with AJAX
> > out-of-the-box.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> What is the use case?

ATM no actual use case, but we can use it in e.g. the search contract
and enable the google suggestions
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en. AJAX in general is really
useful and I have tons of ideas around it. ;-)

> It seems to me that with this Forrest would be moving a long way from a
> publishing framework and becoming more like Cocoon itself, an
> application framework. But maybe I'm just bind to the use case.

Hmm, IMO no. contracts are extra-content and/or extra-functionality.
AJAX is just a way to update parts of the site on user interaction
without having to reload the whole site.

> > There is a ajax-block in cocoon, which is the best way to incorporate
> > this in existing structurer?
>
> We need Forms to be working first.

Why do you think so?

Forms depend on AJAX (not the other way around, have a look at
blocks.properties).

Anyway you can use pure AJAX without forms. The cocoon-AJAX "just"
provides a new transformer and the standard AJAX jscripts (like
prototype.js et. al.). We do not even need to use the cocoon block to
add AJAX support.

> The easiest way to get forms woking
> is to make Forrest a Cocoon block.

hmm, I know to less about block ATM to comment on that.

Re: [v2] AJAX in views?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> lately I worked with AJAX and would like to support v2 with AJAX
> out-of-the-box.
>
> WDYT?

What is the use case?

It seems to me that with this Forrest would be moving a long way from a
publishing framework and becoming more like Cocoon itself, an
application framework. But maybe I'm just bind to the use case.

> There is a ajax-block in cocoon, which is the best way to incorporate
> this in existing structurer?

We need Forms to be working first. The easiest way to get forms woking
is to make Forrest a Cocoon block. To do this we need to remove the need