Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by U Anonym <ua...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/14 17:50:58 UTC

get a total count

Hello everyone,

A newbie question:  how do I find out how documents have been indexed
across all shards?

Thanks much!

Re: get a total count

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Not sure I understand the question. You have to specifically address the docs
to a particular shard when indexing, so you should know already. Solr
automagically distributes *queries* across shards (if you've configured
your installation for it), but not docs during indexing.

If that makes no sense, could you add some details to your question?

Re: get a total count

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/1/2012 8:57 AM, Rahul R wrote:
> Hello,
> A related question on this topic. How do I programmatically find the total
> number of documents across many shards ? For EmbeddedSolrServer, I use the
> following command to get the total count :
> solrSearcher.getStatistics().get("numDocs")
>
> With distributed search, how do i get the count of all records in all
> shards. Apart from doing a *:* query, is there a way to get the total count
> ? I am not able to use the same command above because, I am not able to get
> a handle to the SolrIndexSearcher object with distributed search. The conf
> and data directories of my index reside directly under a folder called solr
> (no core) under the weblogic domain directly. I dont have a SolrCore
> object. With EmbeddedSolrServer, I used to get the SolrIndexSearcher object
> using the following call :
> solrSearcher = (SolrIndexSearcher)SolrCoreObject.getSearcher().get();

A *:* query with rows=0 is how I get a total document count.  The
program that does this most often is Perl using LWP, but I'm pretty sure
I could do the same thing with the Commons server in SolrJ.  I've never
used the embedded server.  I do not specify the shards parameter on my
requests, I query a special core that has the shards parameter in
solrconfig.xml.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: get a total count

Posted by Rahul R <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
A related question on this topic. How do I programmatically find the total
number of documents across many shards ? For EmbeddedSolrServer, I use the
following command to get the total count :
solrSearcher.getStatistics().get("numDocs")

With distributed search, how do i get the count of all records in all
shards. Apart from doing a *:* query, is there a way to get the total count
? I am not able to use the same command above because, I am not able to get
a handle to the SolrIndexSearcher object with distributed search. The conf
and data directories of my index reside directly under a folder called solr
(no core) under the weblogic domain directly. I dont have a SolrCore
object. With EmbeddedSolrServer, I used to get the SolrIndexSearcher object
using the following call :
solrSearcher = (SolrIndexSearcher)SolrCoreObject.getSearcher().get();

Stack Information :
OS : Solaris
jdk : 1.5.0_14 32 bit
Solr : 1.3