Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by Ciprian Ciubotariu <ch...@gmx.net> on 2016/05/31 21:50:45 UTC

Building archiva and redback

I recengly switched to java8, which caused some problems building archiva and redback. I found some jira issues regarding build problems (issue [1] seems to describe a JVM crash), so I decided to investigate the build state for openjdk and oracle's jdk both for java7 and java8.

Here are the conclusions:

1. there is no difference between build success or failure between openjdk and oracle jdk.

2. archiva-redback-core only builds on java7, and fails on java8 as follows:
	- Redback :: Users Provider :: JDO with ERROR [JPOX.Enhancer] - Class java.lang.String not found in classpath. : org.apache.bcel.classfile.ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in constant pool: 18.
	- seems to be related with comment [2], though the issue [1] is about jdk 1.7, which is confusing (also the reported build error is different)
	- the error is reported at [3], and seems to be fixed in bcel 6.0, which has not yet been released for some reason. Any idea how to work around this in the meantime?

4. archiva has some non-deterministic test failures wich appear rarely on java7, but at every build with java8. The error is in org.apache.archiva.rest.services.BrowseServiceTest, due to a race between server initialization and test running. I tried to fix it with [4]

I was unable to reproduce the exact failure described at [1] on any JDK, so I am not sure if it still a problem for anyone. However, the BCEL poses a problem for building redback with java8, so that might be worth investigating.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRM-1827
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRM-1827?focusedCommentId=14489712&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14489712
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BCEL-173
[4] https://github.com/apache/archiva/pull/21

Re: Building archiva and redback

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Thanks a lot for the fix!! I will apply it.

The issue is commons folks have planned to change maven coordinate so we
won't be able to simply override bcel dependency within the jpox plugin :-(.
If we are brave enough maybe we can use something different (jpa?)
otherwise we are stuck with that...

Olivier

--
Olivier Lamy