Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Philip Jacob <ph...@scooby.acs.neu.edu> on 2000/11/15 20:35:05 UTC

coredump on Carps in startup.pl

When I start up apache (apachectl startssl), I get a core dump.
Attached is an "strace httpd -X" for those of you who find this useful.

I have a rather plain startup.pl file containing these lines:

	$SIG{__DIE__} = \&Carp::confess;
	use CGI::Carp ();

If I take both of these lines out of the file, apache starts just fine
and I can get some work done again.

Here's what I have - I'm including the mod_ssl stuff because it's in the
mix, but I'm not anticipating that this is part of the problem.

	Mandrake 7.1
	apache_1.3.14
	libapreq-0.31
	mod_perl-1.24_01
	mod_ssl-2.7.1-1.3.14
	openssl-0.9.5a
	perl-5.6.0

I'm running a very similar setup w/ apache_1.3.12 and mod_perl 1.24 and
I'm not having this problem.

I have searched the mailing list archives but haven't found anybody
running into a similar problem... any ideas based on the strace output?

Thanks people,
phil.

Re: Re:coredump on Carps in startup.pl

Posted by Jeremy Howard <j...@howard.fm>.
> PJ> When I start up apache (apachectl startssl), I get a core dump.
> PJ> Attached is an "strace httpd -X" for those of you who find this
useful.

> FWIW, I have the same issue also.  I noticed it when using CGI::Carp.
> My solution was not "use" CGI::Carp; in startup.pl (a real lame
> solution, I know ;-), but my goal was to deal with it later (I needed to
get my development
> environment back on-line)

You may find that this patch fixes things for you:

http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/sningvezerd/200006091135.MAA1456
6@tiree.fdgroup.co.uk

Re: Re:coredump on Carps in startup.pl

Posted by Jeremy Howard <j...@howard.fm>.
>>useful.
>>>
>>> FWIW, I have the same issue also. I noticed it when using CGI::Carp.
>>> My solution was not "use" CGI::Carp; in startup.pl (a real lame
>>> solution, I know ;-), but my goal was to deal with it later (I needed to
>>get my development
>>> environment back on-line)
>>>
>>You may find that this patch fixes things for you:
>>

>><http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/sningvezerd/200006091135.MAA1
456>
>http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/sningvezerd/200006091135.MAA
>1456
>urk: no such article
>archive = 'modperl'
>thread = 'sningvezerd'
>article = '200006091135.MAA1456'

Make sure it's all on one line:

<http://forum.swarthmore.edu/epigone/modperl/sningvezerd/200006091135.MAA145
66@tiree.fdgroup.co.uk>

You'll probably need to copy and paste the line into your text editor first,
since I suspect that my mailer will put a new-line in it by default.

Re:coredump on Carps in startup.pl

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@crusoe.net>.

PJ> When I start up apache (apachectl startssl), I get a core dump.
PJ> Attached is an "strace httpd -X" for those of you who find this useful.

FWIW, I have the same issue also.  I noticed it when using CGI::Carp.
My solution was not "use" CGI::Carp; in startup.pl (a real lame
solution, I know ;-), but my goal was to deal with it later (I needed to get my development
environment back on-line)

PJ>         Mandrake 7.1
PJ>         apache_1.3.14
PJ>         perl-5.6.0

I notice this started when I moved to Mandrake 7.1 from Redhat 6.2,
but since I threw perl-5.6.0 into the mix at the same time, it may be
a combination of the above.  My code ran fine under RH 6.2,
apache_1.3.14, and perl-5.005_03.

I know this was no real help, but at least you are not alone ...

Best Regards,

Mike Miller
mmiller@crusoe.net