Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2008/01/03 19:32:48 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] www-data as owner of /var/www

On 15.12.07 19:30, Bryan Richardson wrote:
> Just curious, it it dangerous to allow www-data to own /var/www?  /var/www
> is the home directory for www-data, but I noticed that the default user and
> group for /var/www is root.  Is there a reason for this?

maybe apache runs under user and group www-data, and it's often not welcome
when the server can modify data it only has to provide, as just one bug in
it could make the data incorrect.

the group is in such case used to allow apache access the data under group
permission, when /var/www is not accessible on local filesystem.

> The reason I'm asking is because I'm installing a Trac site with some Trac
> Hacks, and python has to uncompress some of the egg files when loading
> them.  The default location to do this is /var/www/.python-eggs, since
> /var/www is www-data's home directory.
>
> Please let me know whether or not it's okay to make www-data the default
> user and group for /var/www!

you can do it, but I don't recommend it.
Windows found: (R)emove, (E)rase, (D)elete