Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "John B. Moore" <jb...@microps.com> on 2003/03/14 08:44:14 UTC

Re: New user

Yoav or whomever...,

    If I may intrude on this thread...   I did read the HowTo  at

 http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html

..and it's primary focus is on the nature of the commands sent to the
manager.  There is no reference as to the HTML GUI that is used by most
new users and general administrators.   In that interface there is no
indication as to the exact syntax needed to "install".  The HowTo should
provide a good and specific examples. This would avoid a lot of
confusion (maybe questions here).  I personally spend nearly an hour
testing different inputs to the "install" fields with no luck

  There are three fields
    Path, Config URL, and WAR URL

  ...of those only Path and WAR URL seem to have any reference in the
HowTo..  I can find nothing on this "Config URL" and what that might
mean nor does this term exist, so how is one to guess what this field
requires..???  Ignoring that field and taking a hint from the HowTo I
input various "paths" and "WAR URL"s that I thought should work..  Using

http://localhost:8080/manager/install?path=/bar&war=jar:file:/path/to/bar.war!/

as a reference point and assuming I have a WAR file named
"DurlingSite.war" sitting in the webapps directory,  I entered the
following:

In the Path field:
      /DurlingSite
In the WAR URL field:
      jar:file:/usr/local/tomcat4/webapps/DurlingSite.war!/

This did not work..  I then tried various variations check my spelling,
typos..etc.... no joy..

So... given that I have a WAR file "DurlingSite.war" siting in the
directory /usr/local/tomcat4/webapps. How would you input the required
"install" fields in the Manager HTML interface. (and have it work..<G>)

   Thanks...

    John Moore

PS. Also as a side issue.. it appears that "Remove" does ot work.. it
does not remove a webapp and all of it's files as the HowTo
indicates..????   Why is this...??