Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Theo Diefenthal <th...@scoop-software.de> on 2020/03/04 12:04:34 UTC

Flink Serialization as stable (kafka) output format?

Hi,

Without knowing too much about flink serialization, I know that Flinks states that it serializes POJOtypes much faster than even the fast Kryo for Java. I further know that it supports schema evolution in the same way as avro.

In our project, we have a star architecture, where one flink job produces results into a kafka topic and where we have multiple downstream consumers from that kafka topic (Mostly other flink jobs).
For fast development cycles, we currently use JSON as output format for the kafka topic due to easy debugging capabilities and best migration possibilities. However, when scaling up, we need to switch to a more efficient format. Most often, Avro is mentioned in combination with a schema registry, as its much more efficient then JSON where essentially, each message contains the schema as well. However, in most benchmarks, avro turns out to be rather slow in terms of CPU cycles ( e.g. [ https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/wiki | [1] ] )

My question(s) now:
1. Is it reasonable to use flink serializers as message format in Kafka?
2. Are there any downsides in using flinks serialization result as output format to kafka?
3. Can downstream consumers, written in Java, but not flink components, also easily deserialize flink serialized POJOs? Or do they have a dependency to at least full flink-core?
4. Do you have benchmarks comparing flink (de-)serialization performance to e.g. kryo and avro?

The only thing I come up with why I wouldn't use flink serialization is that we wouldn't have a schema registry, but in our case, we share all our POJOs in a jar which is used by all components, so that is kind of a schema registry already and if we only make avro compatible changes, which are also well treated by flink, that shouldn't be any limitation compared to like avro+registry?

Best regards
Theo

[1] [ https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/wiki | https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/wiki ]

Re: Flink Serialization as stable (kafka) output format?

Posted by Theo Diefenthal <th...@scoop-software.de>.
Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for pointing me to the nice blog post.

It aligns with my readings that the flink serializer is fast, outperfoms avro (especially reflect) and still supports schema evolution well. So nice done job @flink :)

But as Arvid says, Avro is compatible with much more languages than just JVM. Who knows how my project grows in future and whether there are going to be people wanting to connect to Kafka with Python/Go/whatever, ... As long as you don't recommend, I won't jump into using flink as external serializer but keep with the internal usages of PojoSerializer everywhere :)

I'll definitely also keep in mind that avro reflect performs much worse compared to avro specific/generic then I expected.

Best regards
Theo

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Hey Theo,