Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Linus Kamb <ka...@emsc-csem.org> on 2010/03/02 11:07:34 UTC

self-registration portlet, user trees, and subsites

Hi,

I apologize for a bunch of newbie questions here, but I've taken over a portal site and we're trying to upgrade from 2.1.3 to 2.2.0, and rebuilding the site from scratch, so a lot of stuff that was put in place before I got here (by someone no longer here) needs to be put back, and I'm at a bit of a loss for some of the items.

In our current 2.1.3 site, self-registration was apparently "broken" so they have had to add all the users by hand.  This is not acceptable going forward, but it had the consequence of all users seeing a single view of the portal site (which is what we want.)   That is, if the admin changes the content of the site or of a particular page, that is reflected for everyone.  In addition, there is not a directory tree created for every user.  We don't need or want individual users changing things, and don't need subsites.  When new users are created they all see basically what the admin has laid out.  (Admin vs user views and a couple of guest vs user views are controlled through constraints, which I think I understand.)

Perhaps this is not the way it's supposed to be, but it has been working for us.

Now, upgrading to 2.2.0, I would like to make the self-registration portlet work in more-or-less the same manner.  I've been poking at it in various ways, including editing the new user defaults in the security admin pages, as well as the self-registration defaults, but all I've managed to do is either not affect anything (eg, new folder for each user, new user pages are from the user/template tree,) or else break it with various errors including NPE and "destination already exists."

So, in summary, what I would like is for the admin to be able to make changes in one place (using the portal page-editing tools), and have all users, including self-registered new users, see those pages and changes.

Is this reasonable?  Doable?  And if so, how do I go about affecting it?

I admit I don't fully understand the profiling rules, so I don't know if they come in to play here.

thanks a lot,

Linus

RE: self-registration portlet, user trees, and subsites

Posted by Linus Kamb <ka...@emsc-csem.org>.
Hi Randy,

Thanks for the tip.

Using the path profile does indeed work that way.  User directories are still created, however, and as opposed to my approach of emptying the template directory, they have copies of the template dir files, although they don't appear to be used.

I have not succeeded in reproducing the NPE. I was trying multiple various changes and strategies to try to achieve my results when I saw that, so I'm not exactly sure what caused it.  If see it again, I will try to find the stack trace and send it to you.

In general, I would be happy to work with the trunk and try to help you all make improvements.  However, as we decided to make all these changes fairly late in our project, I'm feeling a bit of pressure to just "make it work."   I will have a look at the trunk when I can, and if you have specific requests to test or provide feedback, let me know.

Thanks,
Linus

Posted by Randy Watler <wa...@wispertel.net>.
Linus,