Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Freyer <CF...@encoredev.com> on 2000/11/10 16:47:29 UTC

Using tomcat stand-alone

Has anyone attempted to use Tomcat as a stand-alone server?

I have, on a light-duty site where load isn't an issue.   The only problem I
had was with SYN flooding, caused by broken connections on the client side.
Too many broken connections in a row causes port 80 (originally 8080) to go
offline.  The site is running on a Linux machine, so I enabled SYN
protection in my firewall and the problem disappeared.

For what its worth...I use include files for the header and footer of my
JSP-based site.  To test Tomcat's ability to process JSP's, I instantiated a
Date object at the beginning of the header and the end of the footer, and
output the difference (in ms) at the bottom of the HTML output.  Most pages
are taking 1 - 20 ms to execute.  This means I could easily serve thousands
of requests per minute.

TTYL--

Chris Freyer
Encore Development
cfreyer@encoredev.com
(904) 596-8847

"Try not to become a person of success, but rather a person of value."
--Albert Einstein, 1921 Nobel Laureate.