Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2008/04/03 12:22:20 UTC

Sonatype's Nexus 1.0-beta-1 Released

Dear Jolly Maven Users,

After many months of alpha testing we are tickled pink to announce the
1.0-beta-1 release of Nexus. Tamás Cservenák, Brian Fox, Eugene
Kuleshov and Justin Richard have been working very hard to bring Maven
users something we feel will benefit the whole community. In an
unbelievable twist of fate, this might be the first Maven-related
project that actually has documentation with its first releases! We
have a website with some information about Nexus which you can find
here:

http://nexus.sonatype.org

And Tim O'Brien has written a chapter on Maven repository management
which covers all the basics that people will need to get started with
Nexus. We'll have a few more cool announcements to make about Nexus
shortly, but people are probably most interested in how to get
started, where they can download Nexus, and if there are any mailing
lists to join. You can surf around the site, but here are the most
relevant links.

http://nexus.sonatype.org/getting-started.html
http://nexus.sonatype.org/download.html

We look forward to feedback from users, and you'll definitely be
hearing more from us about Nexus!

Thanks,

The Sonatype Team

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Selfish deeds are the shortest path to self destruction.

-- The Seven Samuari, Akira Kirosawa

RE: Sonatype's Nexus 1.0-beta-1 Released

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@sonatype.com>.
> What do you mean by not relying on a CMS?  Does that mean an application
server?

Nexus doesn't use a database is what Jason was suggesting.

>I was looking through the documentation and it does not look like Nexus is
made to be hosted within an application >server like Tomcat and Websphere.
Is that right?

Nexus is not intended to run in a separate app server. We provide an
embedded Jetty instance to host the app. This allows us to focus on building
the application and not messing around with app server limitations and
compatibility. It will also allow us to do some interesting things down the
road like hot updates of the base app server and application. Jetty is also
able to scale to a much larger load because of the way it handles
connections.

While it hasn't been a focus for the alphas or beta-1, we will work to
ensure that Nexus can be hooked in via mod_proxy or ajp etc for
infrastructures that require it, but this will reduce performance over raw
jetty.

We have an IRC channel on irc.codehaus.org #nexus and user list
(nexus-user-subscribe@sonatype.org) where we can discuss this in detail if
you wish.

--Brian
http://blogs.sonatype.com/brian

Re: Sonatype's Nexus 1.0-beta-1 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 3-Apr-08, at 11:57 AM, Hayes, Peter wrote:
> What do you mean by not relying on a CMS?  Does that mean an
> application server?

A general content management system.

> I was looking through the documentation and it does not look like
> Nexus is made to be hosted within an application server like Tomcat
> and Websphere.  Is that right?

That is absolutely right. That is also absolutely intentional and for
very good reason.

We provide the runtime so we can completely bullet proof its
operation. We have found with all our corporate clients that they are
more interested in a supported, and tested configuration then trying
to test against every servlet container, or app server. The reason
being that within any organization that is sizable your procurement
people are going to have a pretty strong say in what you purchase.
They are going to be interested in support, SLAs, and in many cases
indemnification of the package and operation of the software. We embed
Jetty and I would bet my life on Jetty. I would not be my life on
Tomcat. Primarily because of the huge community and support issues.
When I need help with Jetty Greg and Jan have always been there for me
and we're talking years and years. I would recommend anyone using
Tomcat look at Jetty anyway. It's a myth that Jetty doesn't perform
well in production anyway.

We haven't had any corporate buy-in problems with this model and we
like to think of the model more akin to Apple's where there are a few
extremely well tested, and reliable configurations and it just makes
support, training, and education an order of magnitude easier.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Hi,

Posted by BlueBerry <th...@126.com>.
Dear Jason