Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Cluff <cl...@tsys.com> on 2019/05/03 23:13:38 UTC

[users@httpd] 2.2 to 2.4 upgrade

Hello apache web community,

I upgraded apache web server on RHEL 7 from v 2.2 to v 2.4. I have a question about the procs that are spawned after the web server is started up.

For example, when I would start v2.2 (./apachectl start) it would have the root process and spawn 2 additional apache procs. This would give me a total of 3 like so:

root          29124           1  0 12:14 ?        00:00:03 /opt/apache-2.2/bin/httpd -k start
apache    29129  29124  0 12:14 ?        00:00:00 /opt/apache-2.2/bin/httpd -k start
apache    29131  29124  0 12:14 ?        00:00:07 /opt/apache-2.2/bin/httpd -k start

However, when I start the new v2.4 proc, it only spawns 1 apache proc like so:

root          59585            1 28 16:08 ?        00:00:00 /opt/apache-2.4.39/bin/httpd -k start
apache    59591  59585 57 16:08 ?        00:00:00 /opt/apache-2.4.39/bin/httpd -k start

What controls that? I need that second apache proc to start up as the site starts giving status code 400 errors when trying to load static content.

Any tips or guidance that could lead me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

NOTICE: This communication is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Unless you are the intended addressee, any review, reliance, dissemination, distribution, copying or use whatsoever of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this in error, please reply immediately and delete the material from all computers. Email sent through the Internet is not secure. Do not use email to send us confidential information such as credit card numbers, PIN numbers, passwords, Social Security Numbers, Account numbers, or other important and confidential information.

Re: [users@httpd] 2.2 to 2.4 upgrade

Posted by Daniel Ferradal <df...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Those get spawned according to mpm settings, described at:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mpm_common.html
Threaded mpm:
MinSpareThreads
MaxSpareThreads

Prefork mpm:
MinSpareServers
MaxSpareServers

A general description of what a mpm is and does, here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mpm.html

--
Daniel Ferradal
HTTPD Project