Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org> on 2017/07/31 16:07:38 UTC

[dbcp] outdated and confusing documentation

The DBCP package description page is referred to from the Overview page
as containing important information on usage of the package.

The following sample code is provided there:

> GenericObjectPool connectionPool = new GenericObjectPool(null);
> ConnectionFactory connectionFactory = new DriverManagerConnectionFactory("jdbc:some:connect:string", "username", "password");
> PoolableConnectionFactory poolableConnectionFactory = new PoolableConnectionFactory(connectionFactory,connectionPool,null,null,false,true);
> PoolingDataSource dataSource = new PoolingDataSource(connectionPool);

The third line appears out of date:  No such constructor of
PoolableConnectionFactory appears to exist.  Instead I find

PoolableConnectionFactory(ConnectionFactory connFactory, ObjectName
dataSourceJmxName)

OK, I can use that.

But ...
Eclipse is warning me that this PoolableConnectionFactory is not used in
the code.  And it's right!  Nothing ties the poolableConnectionFactory
object we create in that line to anything else, and it doesn't appear to
be needed.

At any rate, I'm confused.  What role does this object play in the
scenario the documentation is referring to?

Re: [dbcp] outdated and confusing documentation

Posted by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org>.
Yes, thanks, I also noticed the broken link and found the sample,
figuring it must exist somewhere.  That code is better.

I will open JIRA, thanks.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.