Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2008/06/27 03:56:18 UTC

3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

On Jun 23, 2008, at 4:35 PM, David Blevins wrote:
> We might want to start thinking release pretty soon here.

Another topic is weather or not we want to call this 3.0.1 or 3.1.

I was just talking to one of the guys from InfoQ about the upcoming
release and he definitely liked some of the new features but sort of
went cold on the idea of a news post wanting to wait till 3.1.  Got me
thinking that maybe 3.0.1 isn't such a wise idea if we really want to
get the word out there.

If you look at our changes, they're mostly new features and
improvements with just a few bug fixes.  My thoughts previous to
talking with him was that we should reserve 3.1 for a more EJB 3.1
packed release.  But really we already have a few great EJB 3.1
features like the embedded testing stuff and ejbs in wars.

Maybe the right answer is just to go for the gusto and call it OpenEJB
3.1 and get people starting to think of us as EJB 3.1.

Thoughts?

-David

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 3:56 AM, David Blevins <da...@visi.com> wrote:

> Maybe the right answer is just to go for the gusto and call it OpenEJB 3.1
> and get people starting to think of us as EJB 3.1.

+1 for OpenEJB 3.1

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 3.1

I agree with the idea of having a 3.1 release for the exposure David
want to have for the project on either InfoQ or TSS - exposure is very
important - but we have to make a release notice that 3.1 is not so
related to the EJB 3.1 - I mean to notify users that OEJB 3.1 is
partial impl of the full EJB 3.1 specs - this way we get the interest
of users to try what we already have of EJB 3.1 and make them so
looking forward the upcomming releases of OEJB to try the more
complete impl of EJB 3.1.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Starting on 3.1 (was: Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Alright.  Going to start wrapping things up.  Will post binaries
hopefully soon.

-David

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Good thing to know thanks Martijn :)

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Martijn Dashorst
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The maven dependency would be:
>
> <dependency>
>    <groupId>org.apache.openejb</groupId>
>    <artifactId>openejb</artifactId>
>    <version>4.0</version>
>    <classifier>ejb31</classifier>
> </dependency>
>
> Martijn
>

> David Blevins wrote:
>>

>> On Sep 1, 2008, at 7:34 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
>>

>>> You could of course adopt a more contrived numbering scheme:
>>>
>>> openejb-4.0-ejb31.jar
>>>
>>> using the maven classifiers as a way to denote which version of ejb
>>> you'd
>>> like to support. This opens up the possibility to support both
>>> ejb-3.0 and
>>> ejb 3.1 with a open ejb 4.0 release (which might introduce specific
>>> features
>>> that provide upwards compatibility to ejb 3.1), though you really
>>> don't have
>>> to do so.
>>
>> I never took the time to figure out that classifier stuff.  How would
>> one declare a maven dep on the above artifact?
>>
>>> Just my 2cts (was triggered by the referecne to Wicket :)
>>
>> We'll count it as $2 due to inflation :)
>>
>> -David

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jean...

<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> introduce new "features" is going to far outpace the ability of the JCP
>>> generate new EJB spec version numbers. By convention, 3.0.1 would be a
>>> bug-fix update of the 3.0 release. New "features" do find their way into
>>> bug-fix releases, but you'd usually expect most new features to appear in
>>> 3.x releases. However, that doesn't mean you absolutely *must* follow the
>>> convention... Allowing 3.0.x releases to introduce new features. It's
>>> then a
>>> matter of communicating the content. On the other hand, a 3.x release
>>> clearly communicates new function.
>>>
>>> I'm ok with either direction. A few additional thoughts...
>>>
>>> Would be nice to discuss what users might want... Discussing releases a
>>> bit
>>> further in advance would give committers a chance to target new

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Well, I think it will not be a lot of work or a difficult task if we
all co-operated to work on it. I agree with what you and David said,
and IMHO if this way is th right way to go so lets do it, as long as
it will be for the benefit of the project.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

> We could default it to 3.0 and have people switch to 3.1 if they need the
> 3.1 functionality.

Meant to say,default is 3.1

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

On Aug 2, 2008, at 9:09 AM, Karan Malhi wrote:
> Meant to say,default is 3.1

Right.  That'd be one we'd want to enable on a per ejb module basis
via the openejb-jar.xml properties.

> Would be nice to see something released soon. Our examples on our
> download
> page are already old and some do not work because of bugs (which are
> already
> fixed in trunk) or dependencies on versions which do not exist in
> repositories.

I think the webservice example is the only one that will cause
problems, but that's enough.  We also have way more examples than we
do html pages to accompany them.

Overall, release wise I'd like to get the last of the singleton stuff
in and add the no-interface bean view and then get rid of asm as a
dependency by using the shade plugin.

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it a possibility that we quietly release 3.0.1 (which includes all the
> bug fixes). Then in a couple of weeks release 3.1 and make a big
> announcement about it. This way we can post both the releases on our
> website, keep the trunk as the main dev area (no branches) and will still
> give people an option to download either the 3.0 version (without 3.1
> features) and/or the 3.1 version.

How we can do this if we will keep everything in the trunk ? - I am
talking about people who need to download source code from our SVN
repo.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1?

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>.
Karan Malhi wrote:
> Is it a possibility that we quietly release 3.0.1 (which includes all the
> bug fixes). Then in a couple of weeks release 3.1 and make a big
> announcement about it. This way we can post both the releases on our
> website, keep the trunk as the main dev area (no branches) and will still
> give people an option to download either the 3.0 version (without 3.1
> features) and/or the 3.1 version.

 From my reading of this discussion this is the most logical suggestion
which has a nice balance.

+1

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Good to see some feedback.  There's a potential flaw in the question
"3.0.1 or 3.1", the "or" part.  I suppose *and* is an option too.

We could release a 3.0.1 and 3.1 beta x.  3.0.x would be stable, no
new EJB 3.1 apis, 3.1 beta x for the people who want to play

Pros:
  - Gives users more choice

Cons:
  - Could create a lot of work

I have to split for the night, but if people could help fill in some
pros and cons that'd be great.  Feel free to elaborate.. I definitely
will as soon as I get some more time to think.  Binary feedback (i.e.
+1, -1) is fine but some more detailed feedback is great for
brainstorming.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 28, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Manu George
> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm I see your point David. So I guess it makes sense to go with 3.1.
>> So what do we plan to call future releases delivering EJB 3.1
>> support?
>> 3.x or 4.0?
>
> 3.1.1, 3.1.2 and so forth.

Heh. But InfoQ (or whoever) might not be interested in a 3.1.2
release... Which is Manu's point, I think... Or at least it would be
my point... ;-)

Basing decisions on headline grabbing potential seems like a poor
starting point for making this decision, IMO.  Heck, if 3.1 will get a
notice, wouldn't a 4.0 release get a bigger headline? :-P I'll also
note that TSS just ran an article for a 1.3.4 release of Wicket.

IMO, the project has one fundamental decision: Do you want to base
release numbers on the supported EJB spec level? The ability of the
project to introduce new "features" is going to far outpace the
ability of the JCP to generate new EJB spec version numbers. By

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:11 PM, Manu George <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm I see your point David. So I guess it makes sense to go with 3.1.
> So what do we plan to call future releases delivering EJB 3.1 support?
> 3.x or 4.0?

3.1.1, 3.1.2 and so forth.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski

Re: 3.0.1 or 3.1? (was: Re: Getting near release time)

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hmm I see your point David. So I guess it makes sense to go with 3.1.
So what do we plan to call future releases delivering EJB 3.1 support?
3.x or 4.0?

Regards
Manu

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
The drawbacks of beta are:
   - We're not going to get an announcement out of anyone (InfoQ, TSS)

Posted by Manu George <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karan Singh Malhi