Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org> on 2012/02/19 16:23:24 UTC

Common checkstyle (was Re: [vfs] checkstyle)

On Feb 19, 2012, at 6:55 AM, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Unlike Commons, you have to be granted permission to commit at other projects at the ASF and each of them have their own PMC and build their own communities.  Commons is a single community and thus it makes sense for developers to be able to easily switch between sub projects. Having commonality between the projects encourages that as it means you don't have to figure out what style settings you need as you switch between projects.
>>

> I continue seeing it an imposition that can be avoided, since not
> everybody commits in each component.
> I switched across components and I just respected the original code
> format (well, not always true, because I reformatted Discovery and
> still regret for it) - that doesn't mean that style was always the
> same, since each component defined its own config (and often the
> exception rules)
>
> If a common style has to be applied to all commons components, IMHO a
> VOTE should be subjected to the PMC

I agree with that.  However, there is nothing wrong with discussing it first to see if a vote is even warranted.

Ralph

Re: Should a vote about a commons wide checkstyle config be submitted to the PMC (was Re: Common checkstyle)

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.
Nah. It just means that when someone actually decides to do it we will review it then.  I don't really see the point in voting on something and then no one following through to implement it.

Ralph

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Jörg Schaible
<Jo...@scalaris.com>wrote:

> Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > for the record: since more than 72h have passed with no response, I
> > guess we can drop this topic and leave everything the way it is.
>
> Or it means, you did not draw any attention to a new topic in a thread of
> ~50 postings ...

Right! This is a good post that touches on a 'religious' issue. For me
formatting should be consistent and automatic using your IDE.

So ideally, we can define a set of rules that can be implemented in CS and
in an IDE (Eclipse, IJ, NB) and saved in SVN. Then we can decide if we want
to save IDE settings in a new dir called ide/{ide_name}/{ide_version}, that
kind of thing.

I would like to see CS defined in the parent and let each component
override as they see fit.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Should a vote about a commons wide checkstyle config be submitted to the PMC (was Re: Common checkstyle)

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@scalaris.com>.

Re: Common checkstyle (was Re: [vfs] checkstyle)

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 21, 2012, at 2:38, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:

> Sorry but I lost you, at that point I don't understand what meaning we
> want to attribute to the "checkstyle configuration can be overridden"
> sentence.
>
> Do you mean that we add the suppressions file, in order to skip some
> violations (i.e. signature too long of the default 80 char estimated
> by the default rules)
>
>  or
>
> committers can define their own config files?

Both I hope.

Gary

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Feb 20, 2012, at 7:28 AM, sebb wrote:

>> I think that is, what Gary meant in the first place ;-)
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201202.mbox/%3C-662605764588844473%40unknownmsgid%3E
>>
>> To be honest, I'm really indifferent regarding what style to use. But I've
>> come to the conclusion, that coding style is an important thing for some of
>> you. I think the result of this discussion should be an easy way for
>> everyone to switch between components, even if some components are developed
>> by a few committers only (that is why I suggested to put the IDE
>> configuration files on the website).
>
> If there were a single coding style that all present and future
> Commons committers could agree on, then it would make sense to make
> that the Commons style.
> However, the fact that we are having these discussions proves that
> there is no such style.
> Any style chosen today will necessarily depend on those voting at the
> time - at a later date, a different style will probably be chosen.
>
> Does it really make sense to change all the components to suit a style that is
> - not agreed by all at present
> - may become a minority style choice in future?
>
> ==
>
> However, there may be some style aspects that we can agree on:
> - tabs are banned
> - indentation (Java = 4; xml = 2 or 4 )
>
> I'm not sure there's anything else that has not been contentious at some point.

Actually, I'd bet a lot of things can be agreed on:

1. Is whitespace after "(" and before ")" permitted?
2. Is whitespace required before and after operators (i.e.  a=1 vs a = 1).
3. Do public static final objects require their names be in all caps.

and many more

The item that typically is the point of contention is how curly braces are used.  I used to care but I've worked on so many code bases that I gave up caring a long time ago.

To me, the issue is really about making it easy to work on multiple projects and have the IDE be able to tell you about style errors.  In IntelliJ, and I assume Eclipse, each project can be configured with its own style.  If there is a default that also provides the IDE rules and we were to require projects to provide IDE rules for whatever style they want to use I would expect more projects would select the default. But even if they didn't, having the checkstyle rules available for every project would still make it easier.

Ralph

Re: Common checkstyle (was Re: [vfs] checkstyle)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@systemoutprintln.de>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 19/02/2012 20:26, Simone Tripodi wrote:
>> So please explain me why the PMC should "force" OGNL guys on adopting
>> a different style in a component where just a small subset of commons
>> people (mainly Struts guys) is interested.
>
> It shouldn't. Those that do the work get to make the decisions.

+1, let the component committers make the decision - not the PMC impose.

Niall

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM, Simone Tripodi
<si...@apache.org> wrote:
> main OGNL contributors have been olamy, mcucchiara, grobmeier and
> simonetripodi <http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fcommons%2Fproper%2Fognl%2Ftrunk>.
> We all (except grobmeier :P) like the mvn style (brought by
> checkstyle-plugin) and we are comfortable on working with it. No one
> else committed on OGNL.

haha I always forget there are actually people who LIKE this convention ;-)

> So please explain me why the PMC should "force" OGNL guys on adopting
> a different style in a component where just a small subset of commons
> people (mainly Struts guys) is interested.

its maybe my fault. I tend to think of Commons as one project which
should follow one convention. Actually it is many little projects
which are too small to become a tlp. My thought about standard code
style: contributors can get into the code more easily. But hey, it is
just a minor plus here, I agree. So please read on.

> Concluding: PMD, findbugs and checkstyle by default: +1; deciding
> which style has to be applied: -1. Good practice are one thing, strict
> rules are different.

Ok I follow your argument and expand it because I like it.

Then it would be ok for a component to use gradle instead of maven (in
theory)? The pom.xml is an artwork, but it is far from being easy to
understand or even easy to use.  Why do we have so many discussions on
jdk 5 or not? On can we break bc or not? Dont get me wrong - I am fine
with what you say. Let component committers decide (even when it means
i am overruled on ognl case haha). And a component committer is
somebody who actually commits code to the component - not just fixing
typos in the website or caring on the clirr report.

But then please let us apply generics to collections, because to my
knowledge most of the committers want them. Let us break backwards
compatibility (with major version bumps) when component committers
feel like that without huge discussions. This approach might lead us
to a more agile Commons with more releases on up-to-date technologies
and I gladly will commit code the maven way.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Common checkstyle (was Re: [vfs] checkstyle)

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.