Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Johannes Geppert <jo...@web.de> on 2009/08/25 14:28:02 UTC

jQuery Plugin - Struts2 support

Hello,

in the last time we discussed often about a new jQuery plugin directly
supported,
by the struts2 community. Some would not support a javascript lib after bad
experience with the dojo plugin other would only implement some basic
functionality.

I think a good support for an easy widget support are essential for an
web framework this days. So I have the Idea to split such an lib like some
media format libraries in a linux distribution. I can imagine three plugins
the are dependent.

1. jQuery base plugin, only base ajax functionality like ajax link, div and
forms, official supported by struts2
2. jQuery UI plugin with support of all current Widgets. Maybe official
supported.
3. jQuery third party plugins with different widgets there are not in the
jQuery UI libs. NOT supported stuts2. With this plugin we can implement an
autocompleter, doubleselect, trees, tables and more.

PRO:
- clear responsibility for support
- a playground for extensions
- benefits for struts2 developer

CONTRA:
- Many head tags : <sj:head/>, <sjui:head/>, <sjbad:head/>
- divergent development

This are only some of my thoughts, what think the struts2 members about
this?

Johannes

-----
---