Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com> on 2018/11/11 17:53:02 UTC

Place holder for function execution / Variables evaluation

Hello,
Frequently when using JMeter functions, users don't really know for certain
use cases where to put the function, here are few examples:

   - Any function which output will not be used directly by sample
   parameters
   - Such type of functions:
      - https://jmeter-plugins.org/wiki/InterThreadCommunication/
   - you want to create a variable from the output of a function and update
   it on each iteration:
      - User Defined Variable is not an option as evaluation occurs on
      start of test
      - User Parameters being a preprocessor, it would be evaluated on each
      call, so you need to nest it inside a Flow Control Action, not very
      intuitive right ?

I also remember when I started using JMeter that I found this part
counter-intuitive.

I think it would be nice to have a solution for this, that would evaluate
the variables/functions exactly at the place where the call is present and
without generating any SampleResult.

We could implement this:

   - as an enhancement to Flow Control Action
   - as a new Sampler

What's your thoughts on this ?

Regards

Re: Place holder for function execution / Variables evaluation

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 5:42 PM Paulo Maia Borges <pm...@temenos.com>
wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand but I don't think I agree...
>
> Whenever we want to change a variable in a flexible way, can't we just
> insert a BeanShell sampler anywhere and execute a bit of code to change a
> variable? Example, insert a BeanShell Sampler with this code to read an
> existing variable, change it, then store it somewhere else:
> """
> String LoginID = vars.getObject ("LoginID");
> String UserNumber = LoginID.substring (2);
> vars.put ("UserNumber", UserNumber);
> """
>
> This isn't fixed to the start of the test, nor to User Variables, nor to
> being a pre or post processor. The only problem I can think of is that a
> BeanShell Sampler generates a "sample" result, which is quite stupid when
> we merely want to execute some code. What we need is a new control that can
> just run a script without «also» generating a "sample".
>

> Or maybe I'm just not understanding properly..?

Of course it is possible to do it through scripting, Beanshell is not the
advised way for performances, you should use JS223  + Groovy.
The idea is to make it simple for users who don't know much coding.
So the idea of my proposal is to  make it simpler for users and as a
benefit, to not generate any sample.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

RE: Place holder for function execution / Variables evaluation

IMHO It's a great and important enhancement (long time coming)

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 11:10 AM Philippe Mouawad < philippe.mouawad@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
> Any thoughts on this ?
>
> Thanks
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 1:03 PM Philippe Mouawad <
> philippe.mouawad@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I intended to add a new Panel (Evaluate Variables) with:
> >
> >    - A radio box : Evaluate Variables
> >    - And a  User Defined Variables Table
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 12:56 PM Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru> wrote:
> >
> >> Can you give a mock of how you envision it implemented in Flow
> >> Control Action?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Andrey Pokhilko

> good

> on
> on
> >> very

> >> evaluate
> present

> > --
> > Cordialement.
> > Philippe Mouawad.
> >

> --
> Cordialement.
> Philippe Mouawad.

The information in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any use or disclosure of the contents of this e-mail/attachments by a not intended recipient is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of TEMENOS. We recommend that you check this e-mail and any attachments against viruses. TEMENOS accepts no liability for any damage caused by any malicious code or virus transmitted by this e-mail.

Re: Place holder for function execution / Variables evaluation

Posted by Jmeter Tea <jm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello All,
Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Place holder for function execution / Variables evaluation

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Place holder for function execution / Variables evaluation

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for information.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Place holder for function execution / Variables evaluation

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.
Hi,