Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/16 01:32:08 UTC

Contents of VOTE emails

I think it's fundamental that VOTE emails contain the following
information, as well as the links to the archives/jars:

SVN tag + the revision number
======================
This is vital to be able to check the provenance of the files in the
source archive.
The PMC is responsible for the quality of the source and to ensure
that source is available under the correct license.

This is obviously impossible to do for each file in a release, but
files in SVN are effectively pre-approved.
So if every file in the source matches the file in SVN, the PMC can be
sure that no unauthorised files have been accidentally added.
The check can also reveal files that are missing from the source archive.

The revision number is required because SVN does not guarantee that
tags are immutable.
Using the tag+revision means that a reviewer can guarantee that they
are using the correct source.

Different reviewers are likely to focus on different aspects of the release.
But it must be possible for any reviewer to make any checks that they
wish to do.

Also it's important that the vote results are recorded with the
relevant information included, so it is clear exactly what the vote
related to.

Link to KEYS file
============
I know it will always be the same, but it makes it easier for others
to check sigs
It also shows that the KEYS are important.

These are two additional lines to add each VOTE email and can easily
be added to a template so they are not forgotten.

Re: Contents of VOTE emails

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 July 2013 18:39, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 7/16/13 6:51 PM, sebb a écrit :

>>> I disagree. Having to open this (html) file each time you want to create
>>> this file is just a waste of time.
>> Some people prefer a page containing all the intructions; it's how
>> many projects do it.
>
> We have such a page :
> http://mina.apache.org/mina-project/developper-guide.html#releasing-a-point-release-committers-only.
>
> It's already long enough, and I'm not very kean to add the template into it.

Link it then instead, but it ought to be documented there.

Or split the guide into more sections.

Re: Contents of VOTE emails

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Contents of VOTE emails

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 16 July 2013 13:31, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 7/16/13 11:48 AM, sebb a écrit :
>> On 16 July 2013 08:59, Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I suggest we create a template file and store it into the root of MINA.
>> Belongs with developer info, e.g.
>>
>> http://mina.apache.org/mina-project/developper-guide.html
>
> I disagree. Having to open this (html) file each time you want to create
> this file is just a waste of time.

Some people prefer a page containing all the intructions; it's how
many projects do it.

But if you prefer, you can always look at the page source which is in SVN.

I just don't think it belongs in the source tree; it's not relevant to
end users.

Re: Contents of VOTE emails

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Contents of VOTE emails

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Contents of VOTE emails

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 7/16/13 1:32 AM, sebb a écrit :
> I think it's fundamental that VOTE emails contain the following
> information, as well as the links to the archives/jars:
>
> SVN tag + the revision number

Totally +1