Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com> on 2008/03/03 16:33:23 UTC

Re: HSLF - Editing Excel chart object in PPT

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Potnuru Arvind wrote:
> We would like to know whether we can embedd a Excel chart in a Power
> point slide using POI. In our requirement the charts can pre-cooked but
> the data for the chart needs to be dynamic. Is there a provision for
> doing this in HSLF?

No, this isn't possible. However, if you were to embed the excel file into
the powerpoint file in advance, you should be fine to use HSLF and HSSF to
edit the file

> In otherwords, we want to embed an chart in power point, when user
> double clicks on it, he should be able to see the Excel within the power
> point and must be able to edit the data. We also want this editing being
> available programatically as well using POI API.

The normal trick with HSSF and charts is to use named ranges (since you
can't edit the contents of the chart, but you can point it at a named
range, and update that). I think this should be fine

Nick