Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Yiping Zhang <yz...@marketo.com> on 2018/12/06 17:24:49 UTC

what happened to /dev/xvdd in my instance?

Hi, All:

I am working on a script to handle data disks. So, I added a few data disks to my instance. Then I noticed that in listVolumes api output, the third data disk actually has a deviceid 4, instead of 3 as I would expect.  Sure enough, in the guest OS,  I see three data disks as /dev/xvdb, /dev/xvdc, and /dev/xvde.  There is no device /dev/xvdd.

Why does CloudStack skip device /dev/xvdd?  I have verified this behavior on both ACS versions 4.9.3.0 and 4.11.2.0.

Yiping

Re: what happened to /dev/xvdd in my instance?

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
in 4.8, it's VDC that is "reserved" / missing

virsh dumpxml i-2-5748-VM | grep vd
      <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
      <target dev='vdb' bus='virtio'/>
      <target dev='vdd' bus='virtio'/>
      <target dev='vde' bus='virtio'/>
      <target dev='vdf' bus='virtio'/>

--

Andrija Panić

Re: what happened to /dev/xvdd in my instance?

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

--

Andrija Panić