Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tony van der Hoff <li...@vanderhoff.org> on 2007/04/27 19:17:07 UTC

[mp1] Failed to build mod_perl-1.30 with apache_1.3.37

Hi,

I'm trying to build mod_perl-1.30 with apache_1.3.37, with little success.

perl -v ->>> This is perl, v5.8.8 built for i386-linux

Having downloaded and extracted the sources, I did:
perl Makefile.PL \
 APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.37/src DO_HTTPD=1 USE_APACI=1 EVERYTHING=1 \
 APACI_ARGS='--sbindir=/usr/local/sbin, --sysconfdir=/etc/apache1_local' \
 USE_DSO=1

This seemed successful.

Running 'make' fails with errors as attached.
Has anyone any suggestions, please, as to what I'm doing wrong?

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England

Re: [mp1] Failed to build mod_perl-1.30 with apache_1.3.37

Posted by Tony van der Hoff <li...@vanderhoff.org>.
On 27 Apr at 20:50 Marius Feraru <al...@n0i.net> wrote in message
<46...@n0i.net>

> Tony van der Hoff wrote:
> > I'm trying to build mod_perl-1.30 with apache_1.3.37, with little
> > success
> >

> Michael Peters wrote:
> > Saltbreez wrote:
> > > Did you build perl, or are you using a distribution supplied binary?
> > You don't have to compile your own perl, but you do need to make sure
> > that you use the same compiler for perl, mod_perl and apache.
> >

> AND that you really have the development headers available (looking at
> those attached errors) ;-)
>
> If you use some distro which provides development headers in separate
> packages, make sure you have installed them before trying to compile your
> toys.

Yay! You've hit the nail on its head :)
My distro does indeed supply the perl library and the development headers
seperately. A quick RPM fetch and install has sorted the problem.

> If you would have provided some info about your environment... ;-/

Um, yes, but knowing precisely which information to provide can be a
problem. For what it's worth, I'm using Mandriva Linux 2007.0

Thanks very much for your help, and also to the others (mpeters and
saltbreez) who took the trouble to reply; it's really appreciated.

Posted by Marius Feraru <al...@n0i.net>.

Re: [mp1] Failed to build mod_perl-1.30 with apache_1.3.37

Posted by Michael Peters <mp...@plusthree.com>.
Saltbreez wrote:

> Did you build perl, or are you using a distribution supplied binary?

You don't have to compile your own perl, but you do need to make sure that you
use the same compiler for perl, mod_perl and apache.

--
Michael Peters
Developer
Plus Three, LP

Re: [mp1] Failed to build mod_perl-1.30 with apache_1.3.37

Posted by Saltbreez <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Did you build perl, or are you using a distribution supplied binary?
Please try again with a perl you have built yourself [modify your PATH
accordingly].

Christian

--
Do you know how high...       The Salt Breez
    the Robin flies,               Also Know As ...