Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Ted Leung <tw...@apache.org> on 2008/04/01 03:40:51 UTC

CouchDB status report due

Ok folks,

The automated reminder system (Marvin) just sent out the notices
asking for board reports for the April board meeting.   We missed the
March report, so we really need to get our act together and put
together a report this time.    Once Noel creates the appropriate
page, we can put our report there.  For examples of reports, see:
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2008>.

Ted

Re: CouchDB status report due

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
On 01.04.2008, at 03:40, Ted Leung wrote:
> The automated reminder system (Marvin) just sent out the notices
> asking for board reports for the April board meeting.   We missed
> the March report, so we really need to get our act together and put
> together a report this time.    Once Noel creates the appropriate
> page, we can put our report there.  For examples of reports, see: <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2008
> >.

I've put up a draft of our report on

   <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/April2008>

Please review.

Christopher Lenz
   cmlenz at gmx.de
   http://www.cmlenz.net/

Re: CouchDB status report due

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
On 01.04.2008, at 06:34, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> Here's a draft. I have never done this before and looking at the
> examples you linked to, it might be a bit verbose. Feel free
> (anyone) to edit the draft in any way. I am in no way attached to
> what compiled here:
[snip]

> CouchDB is a distributed document database written in Erlang. The
> project entered incubation on February 12th, 2008.
>
> The infrastructure (SVN, JIRA, mailing lists etc) have been set up
> and the team started moving source and documentation from their
> former homes to the ASF.

s/have/has

> Work on CouchDB that has begun earlier is being continued and
> committed to the new repository. This includes a major refactoring
> and subsequent simplification of the core code base (-500 (ca. 10%)
> LOC) and its modularisation. The storage and view engines are now
> separate entities that can be worked on independently. This was done
> in preparation for the upcoming database compaction feature, which
> is in its final stages of development.
>
> At the same time, the mochiweb branch is very active, entirely
> driven by Christopher Lenz. The goal of this branch is to replace
> the Erlang/OTP inets HTTP server with the more appropriate Mochiweb
> package. This is still work in progress, but at the moment, more
> than half of our test suite succeeds.

I think the only parts of the recent coding progress that is really
relevant to the board is:

* Removal of the Spidermonkey source from our repository, which
happened before the migration of the code. This means no inclusion of
MPL-licensed code in our repos and our future releases.

* Ongoing work on the mochiweb branch, which replaces the
"forked" (from the standard lib) version of the EPL-licensed "inets"
library with the MIT-licensed mochiweb library. The goal is to have
this branch merged back into trunk before the first release as an
Incubator project.

I'd formulate that as follows:

"Work has continued on removing forked code from other projects from
the CouchDB codebase. This includes Mozilla SpiderMonkey, the code for
which was previously included with CouchDB in slightly modified form.
Instead, it is now treated as an external compile-time dependency via
a custom C wrapper using the SpiderMonkey API. Also, work is currently
in progress on replacing the dependency on a forked version of
"inets", which is part of the Erlang standard library (EPL), with the
MIT-licensed MochiWeb library. For the time being, the MochiWeb code
is included in the CouchDB codebase, mostly because there has been no
official release of that library yet."

> Noah Slater's been active to review, move and convert the contents
> of http://couchdbwiki.com, the former home of the CouchDB
> documentation to the ASF provided MoinMoin installation. That
> includes the setup of human readable redirects and the development
> of a set of mod_rewrite rules that still need to be set up.
>
> Damien Katz is sill fighting the current host of the couchdb.*
> domains to successfully redirect to our new virtual homes.

Not sure if all this detail is needed. The notes on in-progress
infrastructure moving in the second paragraph above should be enough
IMHO.

> The IBM software grant that is required for Damien Katz's code
> contributions is reportedly on file with the ASF.

As has been pointed out, this software grant has nothing to do with IBM.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Christopher Lenz
   cmlenz at gmx.de
   http://www.cmlenz.net/

Re: CouchDB status report due

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
On Apr 3, 2008, at 2:47 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> So you say we should write more with less words? :)

Always ;-)

> I could add that we waited for our mentors and eventually set up
> infrastructure. There's not a lot more that actually did happen[1]
> (anyone, please correct me if I am wrong). Should the first report
> include a more detailed description of CouchDB for the benefit of
> the board?

I don't think that's necessary

> [1]: Possible things to mention: The fancypants branch, build system
> improvements, discussion about fulltext indexing.

branch yes, build system depends on how much there is to say,
discussion - I'd omit unless there was something notable, like it
being contentious -- remember that discussions about lots of design
topics should be the norm.

> Ok: IANAL and have generally no insight into any of that. Damien,
> can you clarify?

You could also leave that as an open issue that we are looking into

> Anything else we need? You are a bit vague with your request :)

Just what I mentioned above.  Anybody else have any thoughts?

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Apr 3, 2008, at 17:08, Ted Leung wrote:
> [...]

>> includes the setup of human readable redirects and the development
>> of a set of mod_rewrite rules that still need to be set up.
>>
>> Damien Katz is sill fighting the current host of the couchdb.*
>> domains to successfully redirect to our new virtual homes.
>>
>> The IBM software grant that is required for Damien Katz's code
>> contributions is reportedly on file with the ASF.
>
> Well, we have Damien's grant.   I don't believe IBM has anything to
> say about CouchDB, although they may now have something to say about
> his current work since he is employed there.    I think there's a
> question about whether IBM's CCLA needs updating to cover Damien in
> this regard.

Ok: IANAL and have generally no insight into any of that. Damien, can
you clarify?

Anything else we need? You are a bit vague with your request :)

Cheers
Jan

Re: CouchDB status report due

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
On Mar 31, 2008, at 9:34 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> Heya Ted,
>
> On Mar 31, 2008, at 19:40 , Ted Leung wrote:
>> Ok folks,
>>
>> The automated reminder system (Marvin) just sent out the notices
>> asking for board reports for the April board meeting.   We missed
>> the March report, so we really need to get our act together and put
>> together a report this time.    Once Noel creates the appropriate
>> page, we can put our report there.  For examples of reports, see: <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/March2008
>> >.
>
> I am not quite sure who you addressing here, that is, who's
> responsible to do what now, but since you've sent this to -dev, I
> guess we all are :-)

Yes, hopefully someday relatively soon, stuff like this will not be
the job of the mentor, but the community itself.   So consider this
practice.  :-)

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
Heya Ted,