Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Doug Donohoe <do...@donohoe.info> on 2008/05/06 21:33:19 UTC

[announce] wicketstuff-annotation 1.0 released

I am pleased to announce the 1.0 release of wicketstuff-annotation.

Full documentation and explanation (e.g., what, why, how) is at the
wicket-stuff wiki:

http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWIKI/wicketstuff-annotation

A short example is at the end of this email.

I would like to thank Mr Mean and Martijn Dashorst for their assistance in
getting this project in TeamCity.  The process was fairly painless thanks to
their work.

Our pom.xml is pretty simple, is configured to generate javadoc and depends
on wicketstuff-parent.  It should be a good example for other wicket-stuff
projects (if they need one).

Thanks,

-Doug Donohoe

Use wicketstuff-annotation to use Java Annotations and class path searching
to mount your Wicket pages:

@MountPath(path = "terms")
public class Terms extends WebPage { ... }

@MountPath(path = "terms")
@MountMixedParam(parameterNames={"sport", "show"})
public class Dogs extends WebPage { ... }
public class MyWicketApplication extends WebApplication
{
    @Override
    protected void init()
    {
        new
AnnotatedMountScanner().scanPackage("com.acme.wicket.pages").mount(this);
    }
}

Re: [announce] wicketstuff-annotation 1.0 released

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
Nice job! Great that you added a WIKI page and a proper build config etc.

Cheers,

Eelco

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
>  > if the scanning of the classpath is expensive (i guess all classes are
>  > loaded that are scanned..)
>
>  It says: "Note that Spring does not load the class to determine this
>  information. Instead, it uses a meta-data reader to determine this (which is
>  faster than going through class loading)." and also: "The class path
>  scanning is very efficient by itself and limiting the search only makes it
>  faster."

Deep down it does scan the class path though, in a very similar way as
we do in some parts of Wicket.

I don't know much about ASM (which is used by Spring to visit the
class definitions). Is that where you get the edge in performance?

Anyway, I'm not sure whether you actually need Spring (and) ASM to do
the trick, but it does look quite nice, both the Spring code and how
wicketstff-annotation does it.

Cheers,

Eelco

Re: [announce] wicketstuff-annotation 1.0 released

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
>  In my project, I have 60+ jar files in the classpath and the scan only took
>  255 milliseconds (on a 1.66 ghz core duo mac).

Yeah, that sounds perfectly acceptable.

>  Also note that anything JAR-based
>  would not easily work in development environments where you don't JAR after
>  each change.

Yeah, I agree it is probably asking for trouble.

Eelco

Re: [announce] wicketstuff-annotation 1.0 released

Posted by Doug Donohoe <do...@donohoe.info>.
Thank you Maarten for pointing out the documentation I wrote on this.

In my project, I have 60+ jar files in the classpath and the scan only took
255 milliseconds (on a 1.66 ghz core duo mac).

Initializing hibernate takes much longer.

I think this is pretty decent, and since it is only incurred at startup, we
don't require an alternate solution.  Also note that anything JAR-based
would not easily work in development environments where you don't JAR after
each change.

-Doug

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 5/7/08, Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> if the scanning of the classpath is expensive (i guess all classes are
>  loaded that are scanned..)
>  cant there be an option that the scanning is only done once?
>  When you create the jar so with maven/ant?
>  When creating the jar you are scanning everything and create a manifest
>  entries of all the packages.
>  those manifest entries are then read in when the jar is in the classpath

Hmm... interesting idea...

Martijn

Re: [announce] wicketstuff-annotation 1.0 released

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I did something like this for Hibernate back in the day.  I wrote an
APT processor that checked for all classes annotated with @Entity and
added those to a hibernate.cfg.xml file.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
that would then be the best impl yes.

But I dont know if you know what jars you are scanning...
So do you know that you dont have to do this because this jar is described
in the manifest
and another doesnt have it and you have to scan....
That could be difficult. But i dont know how the current scanner work, does
it know the jar of the class..

johan

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
wicketstuff-automount?

Posted by "Hoover, William " <wh...@nemours.org>.
Yes, that is what I ment. I should have said "wicketstuff-annotation"
and "wicketstuff-automount".

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug Donohoe <do...@donohoe.info>.
That's not a bad idea.  I'll put it on my TODO list.  I may wait and see what
other annotation specific needs arise before acting.

-Doug

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Ryan Sonnek <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Doug Donohoe <do...@donohoe.info>.
Matthijs,

Posted by Matthijs Wensveen <m....@func.nl>.

Posted by Ned Collyer <ne...@gmail.com>.
Had a look at the wiki.  Well done, well thought out, simple to implement.

And a sensible license :)

Re: [announce] wicketstuff-annotation 1.0 released

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

oh okay, that's fine.  i see your point.  i suppose i'd prefer it was
BookmarkablePageUrlCodingStrategy.

Posted by Doug Donohoe <do...@donohoe.info>.

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Sonnek <ry...@gmail.com>.
nice work!

i really like how you don't have to touch the web application class every
time add a new page!

Posted by Luca Marrocco <lu...@gmail.com>.