Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/18 15:33:40 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 3] (2nd attempt)

Dear all,

The Apache NetBeans community has voted on and approved a proposal to release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vc3].

We now kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this incubator release candidate.

1. Apache NetBeans vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8c33a85bad3631fe4fa3aebe9196942ab71baa1788b8ebc1256083de@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

2. Apache NetBeans PPMC result vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9cdf17a2e86bdba487cb8db0ca38c5d611f236c09e8b3ff49f6ca22a@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

One binding IPMC +1 vote, carried over to IPMC vote thread:

Mark Struberg

Non-binding +1 votes:

-- Josh Juneau
-- Eric Barboni
-- Junichi Yamamoto
-- Jaroslav Tulach
-- Laszlo Kishalmi
-- Geertjan Wielenga
-- Jens Hofschröer
-- Ricardo Pacheco
-- Ludovic Hochet

3. The link to the convenience binary should be as follows:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc3-bin.zip

4. A survey of over 100 Apache NetBeans community members on the
functioning of the convenience binary:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Results+from+Apache+NetBeans+IDE+10.0+Community+Acceptance+survey

Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) constitutes all but the enterprise cluster in the Apache NetBeans Git repo, which together provide the NetBeans Platform (i.e., the underlying application framework), as well as all the modules that provide the Java SE, PHP, JavaScript and Groovy features of Apache NetBeans.

In short, Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) is a full IDE for Java SE and PHP, JavaScript development with some Groovy language support.

Build artifacts available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3

The specific artifact to be voted on:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc3-source.zip

Included in the above are the DEPENDENCIES, DISCLAIMER, LICENSE, and NOTICE files, as well as a README file with build instructions, which are the same as these:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/release100/README.md

SHA1: 028b47ca10118e616208e4949fb79c2e38d74fd5

KEYS file:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/netbeans/KEYS

Apache NetBeans Git Repo tag: 10.0-vc3 :

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/tree/10.0-vc3

Note: NetBeans license violation checks are managed via the rat-exclusions.txt file:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/release100/nbbuild/rat-exclusions.txt

Rat report shows no unknown licenses, except for license files:

https://builds.apache.org/job/incubator-netbeans-release/365/artifact/rat-release-temp/nbbuild/build/rat-report.txt

Included as a convenience binary, not relevant for the voting purposes (unzip it, run it and you'll see Apache NetBeans):

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/netbeans/incubating-netbeans/incubating-10.0-vc3/incubating-netbeans-10.0-vc1-bin.zip

Release specific wiki page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+10

How (and what) to try out the release:

1. Download the artifact to be voted on and unzip it.
2. Verify the cryptographic signatures, the NOTICE and LICENSE file
3. Build it using the README provided by the artifact.
4. Look in nbbuild/netbeans for the NetBeans installation created by the build process.
5. Run the NetBeans executable and (if you're running on JDK 8) you'll be prompted to install nb-javac, after agreeing to its licensing terms, and (if you're running on JDK 9+), you'll be able to use javac directly from JDK 9 and, optionally, you'll be prompted to install nb-javac, after agreeing to its licensing terms. As this is our first multi purpose (Java SE, PHP, JS, Groovy) release, some features has to be enabled in Tools > Plugins > Installed tab, or get's automatically enabled on first use of a feature.

If the above succeeds, i.e., Apache NetBeans installs and starts up vote +1 in this thread.

Please try out the package, using the instructions above, and vote!

This vote is open for 5 days.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating)
[ ] 0 I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm okay with the release

Laszlo Kishalmi
on behalf on the Apache NetBeans PPMC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache NetBeans 10.0 (incubating) [vote candidate 3] (2nd attempt)

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
+1 binding

- signature and sha1 files correct (both source and bin distribution)
- LICENSE and NOTICE files look fine (both source and bin distribution)
- source dist contents matches with content of git 10.0-vc3 tag
   (except LICENSE/NOTICE files, as documented)
- binary starts up OK (no further verification done)

I noticed some of the bundled license files in the binary distribution
are in html format, which seems odd (without a .html extension):
     netbeans/licenses/
         Maven-CDDL-1.0
         Maven-EPL-v10
         Maven-jsoup
         Maven-MIT
Not really an issue but maybe something to look into.

Regards,
Ate