Posted to user@struts.apache.org by struts Dude <sc...@slingshot.co.nz> on 2004/09/29 14:17:17 UTC

Advice on adding/updating products to an online store?

Hi,

Just a question on what's the usual practice or the easiest way of
adding/updating a  product to an online store.

1.
Is the usualy practice using web services where a registered supplier
login and send an XML file with images serialized as binary data to
add a new product or update product?

Alternatively, an admin may use web services like these to update/add a
product.

2.
Suppose supplier not allowed to update online, then I guess the
usual practice is for admin to login, shown a product list or search form,
choose product and shown product description form to add a new product
or update product descriptions manually, upload image files. After pressing
save button, all these will be saved in database. Right???

This seems like a stupid way as if 50 new products arrived, admin
will repeat manual update 50 times.

3. Is there even an easier way?? 1. seems the easiest but also require
   expertise in web services which is complicated.

----------

I think a professional online store might use both 1 and 2.

Does anyone who have done 1 or 2 can share some tips or thoughts that may
save
me the trouble of reinventing the wheel??

Is there a sample application of 1. that I can adapt to quickly for my own
use??

BTW, is it popular practice to use Lucene as search engines to search
products
by boolean expressions in online store??

Personally, I can't see why people wud want to do that unless Lucene can
offer
significant performance speed as mapping boolean expressions typed by
user in search text field to SQL and query DB seems much easier.

Thanks

Duude where is my car

Re: Advice on adding/updating products to an online store?

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@portalvu.com>.
  Gupta wrote:
person who
> have no background in java and need to develop

Here is just the thing:

http://developer.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/index.jsp

Also google on Sun'd PetStore on how to use EJB w/ above.

.V

ps: People that have development background should use
http://ibatis.com/jpetstore/jpetstore.html - now an Apache project.

Re: Advice on adding/updating products to an online store?

Posted by Amit Gupta <am...@computerware.co.in>.
Hello guys,

Can we prepare a list of URLs of resources that can be useful to person who
have no background in java and need to develop struts application. A
comprehensive FAQ is also proposed.

Take care
Amit Gupta
Mobile:9891062552
Email: amitguptainn@yahoo.co.in

A request - given the barrage of spam these days, there is a non-zero
probability that we accidentally delete important emails. If a response is
necessary to your email, rest assured that I will respond in time. If
however, you have not received a response in a reasonable period, please
don't hesitate to resend.

---