Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Thomas Tuft Muller <tt...@online.no> on 2002/06/20 10:32:37 UTC

RE: Request to drop version number from log4j jar file name

-1 re versioned jars
+1 re building CM systems that handles non-versioned jars consistently and
accurately

E.g. if you compile Log4j with a couple of extentions/changes you've done,
what do you call the jar?

log4j-1.2.4.my.little.patch.jar and log4j-1.2.4.my.little.pathced.patch.jar?
To call it log4j-1.2.4.jar is obviously wrong since it's not version 1.2.4
anymore. In my view it's much better to use a generic and consistent name,
and have other means of extracting the version.

--

Thomas

Copyright ERA Technology Ltd. 2002. (www.era.co.uk). All rights reserved.
The information supplied in this email should be treated in confidence.
No liability whatsoever is accepted for any loss or damage
suffered as a result of accessing this message or any attachments.