Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Build Admin <bu...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/02 16:55:16 UTC

Building ejb with Maven 1.1

I am using Maven 1.1.
Which version is best? Maven 1.x or Maven 2.x. Which one is having more
advantages.

Re: Building ejb with Maven 1.1

Posted by Manos Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com>.
Wayne Fay wrote:
> Most people who are just getting started with Maven are going with M2
> simply because it is "newer", has more developers working on it
> regularly, and has more users at this point as compared to M1. However
> there are still plenty of people using M1 and its far from a "dead"
> project.

True, i still have a number of simple libraries build with M1 without
the need to port those to M2.

That being said, i found it pretty easy to work with Maven 2 for EJB
projects using Mergere's [1] "Better Builds with Maven 2". The book and
it's source code examples are kindly available for free by Mergere. A
chapter on J2EE projects is included and very helpful.

Thanks to the book i have created a template project for MD4J [2] using
EJB 2.1 and Struts 1.2 at [3] with full xdoclet support. You can check
it out from the CVS repo, although the book example may be better for
you. I intent to create an archetype from it and release it along with
the core library as version 0.2 to make it easier with people to start
using the code generator without getting into the mess of downloading
the library dependencies.

M2 feels a lot "cleaner" and easier to  use for modular projects, i used
to have lots of trouble with M1's  multiproject support.

[1] http://www.mergere.com/
[2] http://md4j.sourceforge.net/
[3] http://md4j.cvs.sourceforge.net/md4j/md4j-quickstarter-mvn/

hth,

Manos

Re: Building ejb with Maven 1.1

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Most people who are just getting started with Maven are going with M2
simply because it is "newer", has more developers working on it
regularly, and has more users at this point as compared to M1. However
there are still plenty of people using M1 and its far from a "dead"
project.

As for building ejbs with Maven, I don't know enough about M1 to say
which one is "better" for ejbs.

Wayne