Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl> on 2004/10/09 17:26:11 UTC

Re: Meta info [was: Printing from multiple trays with FOP generated output]

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 03:55:08PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> That's a good idea. I don't think RenderX could do anything against us
> adding such a similar feature, unless they have a patent filed on that
> particular feature which will (hopefully!!!) be difficult. Sooner or
> later we will need something like that. Dave White is quite right to ask
> for an extension to control trays. It would be cool to add tray infos
> and similar things to page masters.
>
> In the end it will probably have to result in something similar as EXSLT
> where for widely accepted features a common syntax is defined. BTW, if I
> remember correctly.....ah yes: http://exslfo.sourceforge.net/

We might also implement rx:meta-info instead of forcing users to
produce fox:meta-info or rx:meta-info depending on their intended FO
processor.

> On 09.10.2004 15:33:35 Glen Mazza wrote:
> > Incidentally, RenderX has a nice extension called
> > rx:meta-info that holds the PDF document information
> > of Author, Producer, Title, etc.  We provide that
> > functionality programmatically to the user by
> > providing methods in FOUserAgent, but the RenderX
> > method seems better because nondevelopers can use it
> > as well.

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
home page: http://www.leverkruid.nl

Re: Meta info [was: Printing from multiple trays with FOP generated output]

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Simon Pepping wrote:
> We might also implement rx:meta-info instead of forcing users to
> produce fox:meta-info or rx:meta-info depending on their intended FO
> processor.

Fiddling with other people's namespaces is considered unpolite, at
least. They might not like this.

Processor specific extensions are just that: processor *specific*
extensions.

There has been an EXSLFO initiative (search on sourceforge) in
order to get some extensions standardized, similar to EXSLT.
AFAIK nothing has been coming out of this, yet.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Meta info [was: Printing from multiple trays with FOP generated output]

Posted by Glen Mazza <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.nl> wrote:

[Jeremias]

> > In the end it will probably have to result in
> something similar as EXSLT
> > where for widely accepted features a common syntax
> is defined. BTW, if I
> > remember correctly.....ah yes:
> http://exslfo.sourceforge.net/

Oh I didn't know about that site, thanks Jeremias.
This site is somewhat out of date though, because the
1.1 spec does have a lot of the indexing FO's,
revision marks, etc., that were previously
processor-specific.

However, some extensions such as PDF bookmarks and PS
paper trays, because they are renderer-specific, will
probably never be in the W3C spec.  So the EXSLFO site
could be useful for these types of
extensions--something that all three AH, RX, and FOP
can support.

[Simon]

> We might also implement rx:meta-info instead of
> forcing users to
> produce fox:meta-info or rx:meta-info depending on
> their intended FO
> processor.

Yes, that's the main drawback of extensions.  I
wouldn't want us to be tied to a particular commercial
product though--there is also AntennaHouse, and I
don't think we would want to be implementing *both* AH
and RX. The EXSLFO approach is probably cleaner.

Also, I think we may be able to do better than what
RenderX or AntennaHouse has.  For example, we could
separate metadata into render-specific types:

<fo:declarations>
   <fox:metadata>
      <fox:pdf-metadata/>
      <fox:ps-metadata/>
   </fox:metadata>
</fo:declarations>

and add elements over time as we see fit.

Glen