Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by "Dandekar, Vivek" <Vi...@tnsi.com> on 2005/09/02 17:34:33 UTC

SOAP Session/Context Question....Return XML statement

If one leaves SOAP session (in side Tomcat5) and uses different thread to get work done and when XML response is ready, how do we send response back to same SOAP Client?

Today we use return(XML response) in the same SOAP session so no issue there. Is there any variation of return call in SOAP environment that can pass JSESSION id so that proper client gets the response back on same https session with Apache?

Thanks.
Vivek

Re: SOAP Session/Context Question....Return XML statement

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
There is no notion of asynchronous calling in the SOAP 1.1 spec, and Apache SOAP does not have any custom extension to do so.  It is, of course, possible to implement something on your own.  There are at least two varations:

1. Initial request and polling.  The client makes the initial request and the service returns a token that uniquely identifies the request.  The client then periodically calls another method, pass the token as a parameter, to see whether the work is done.  If it is, the service returns the result of the work.

2. Callback.  The "client" is also a SOAP server.  It makes the initial request to the server and includes in its parameters the SOAP endpoint information for the callback from the server.  When the server finishes its work, it uses the endpoint information to send the result to the "client".

Scott Nichol

specific mail lists.