Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "FRIEDMAN,RICHARD (HP-NewJersey,ex2)" <ri...@hp.com> on 2001/07/24 00:42:13 UTC

Printing Taglibs.

In JDK 1.4 they have added/updated printing API's which allow
server side printing. I have written a printing
taglib, some documentation, and a sample printing application. To
use this app you must be able to run your jsp/servlet engine
on JDK 1.4, and it needs to support JSP 1.1.

I would like to know if the jakarta-taglibs project is interested in
adding these or at least utilizing this as a base for printing taglibs.

The taglibs are currently working with both Tomcat & HP Internet Server ( in

beta release and based on Core Services Framework).

Here is the URL to download the archive,
http://gallery.bluestone.com/webprinter/web-printer.zip.
It was to big to send with the email.

thoughts,comments,....

Rich Friedman.

Re: Printing Taglibs.

Posted by Pierre Delisle <pi...@sun.com>.
"FRIEDMAN,RICHARD (HP-NewJersey,ex2)" wrote:

> In JDK 1.4 they have added/updated printing API's which allow
> server side printing. I have written a printing
> taglib, some documentation, and a sample printing application. To
> use this app you must be able to run your jsp/servlet engine
> on JDK 1.4, and it needs to support JSP 1.1.
>
> I would like to know if the jakarta-taglibs project is interested in
> adding these or at least utilizing this as a base for printing taglibs.
>
> The taglibs are currently working with both Tomcat & HP Internet Server ( in
>
> beta release and based on Core Services Framework).
>
> Here is the URL to download the archive,
> http://gallery.bluestone.com/webprinter/web-printer.zip.
> It was to big to send with the email.
>
> thoughts,comments,....
>
> Rich Friedman.

Here are some preliminary comments on a first quick evaluation
on the printing tag library.

- copyright & license

  Currently all files have a "Hewlett_Packard Company 2001" copyright
  as well as the GNU's LGPL. I assume this would all be changed to
  comply with the Apache license. Right?

- running the examples web-app

  I ran into the following problems:

  - DOCTYPE

    DOCTYPE must be included in web.xml and print-taglib.tld
    or xml parsing fails under tomcat b6.

  - Url selected is valid but not supported under any mechanism

    Tried many valid URLs but kept getting the above error
    message. Would be nice to have a sample URL that is known
    to work for most printers.

- Motivation for a server-side printing taglib

  Because I never saw the need personally,
  I would find it extremely valuable to see some
  concrete examples on you feel people might want
  to use your tag library in their own web application.

  Having these sample usage examples documented would
  go a long way in building interest for your taglib from the
  community.

Thanks,

    -- Pierre