Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net> on 2005/12/05 16:28:29 UTC

Startup Warning related to running Tomcat Examples on Jetty

GERONIMO-1258 will introduce the tomcat examples into Geronimo.  The
examples seem to install and run fine on both Tomcat and Jetty.  There
is a warning message (see below) that is spit out during Jetty startup.
  There is no such message for Tomcat.  Can someone please help shed
some light on why the warning is being emitted.  I've attached the
relevant portions of my geronimo.log.

Thanks
-Dave-

Starting Geronimo Application Server
[******************] 100%  27s Startup complete
   Listening on Ports:
     1099 0.0.0.0   RMI Naming
     1527 0.0.0.0   Derby Connector
     4201 127.0.0.1 ActiveIO Connector EJB
     4242 0.0.0.0   Remote Login Listener
     8080 0.0.0.0   Jetty Connector HTTP
     8443 0.0.0.0   Jetty Connector HTTPS
    61616 0.0.0.0   ActiveMQ Message Broker Connector

   Started Application Modules:
     WAR: geronimo/uddi-jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car
     WAR: geronimo/jsp-examples-jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car
     RAR: geronimo/system-database/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car
     EAR: geronimo/webconsole-jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car
     WAR: geronimo/welcome-jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car
     RAR: geronimo/activemq/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car
     WAR: geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car

   Web Applications:
     http://linux-009037214145:8080/
     http://linux-009037214145:8080/console
     http://linux-009037214145:8080/console-standard
     http://linux-009037214145:8080/jsp-examples
     http://linux-009037214145:8080/juddi
     http://linux-009037214145:8080/servlets-examples

   WARNING: Some GBeans were not started successfully:

geronimo.server:J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,Servlet=invoker,WebFilter=ServletMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=WebFilterMapping(starting)

geronimo.server:J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,URLPattern="/servlet/\*",WebFilter=PathMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=WebFilterMapping(starting)

Geronimo Application Server started

Re: Startup Warning related to running Tomcat Examples on Jetty

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
      yes, tomcat does not have filtermappings and
servlets as Gbeans, hence this error does not occur.

Thanks
Anita

--- Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com> wrote:

> It might be that Jetty has a lot more instrumented
> as gbeans
> (eg filtermappings, servletholders etc etc) than
> tomcat so
> we see this error message because the gbean
> relationship
> level is awry, whereas if tomcat is not so
> instrumented with
> the filtermappings etc as gbeans then this error
> can't occur.
>
> Jan
>
> Greg Wilkins wrote:
> > Also might be an idea to check the tomcat deployer
> - because either it
> > is suppressing a warning or it has the invoker
> servlet configured by default.
> > neither are optimal
> >
> > cheers

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Re: Startup Warning related to running Tomcat Examples on Jetty

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.
Yep..

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.
Dave,

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.
Ummmm... I've already cracked open the wars to remove the "we recommend
tomcat" comments as well as remove the invoker reference.  The updated
wars were published to svn.apache.org/repository/geronimo/wars and there
is a patch in JIRA 1299 to pickup the new dependency.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.

Posted by Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Dec 5, 2005, at 2:08 PM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> The web.xml contains the following:
>
>     <filter-mapping>
>         <filter-name>Servlet Mapped Filter</filter-name>
> 	<servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
>     </filter-mapping>
>

> Concerning invoker:
> "The invoker is a dynamic servlet which allows run-time loading of
> other servlets based on class name. This servlet is the one that
> allows http://localhost/servlet/com.foo.MyClass?more=cowbell, where
> com.foo.MyClass is some class which can be loaded as a servlet but was
> never explicitly declared in a config file."
>
> After removing the offending xml from web.xml it still seems to work
> fine for both Jetty and Tomcat.
>
> So there are a few options here:
>
> 1) Crack open geronimo-servlet-examples-tomcat-5.5.12.war in ibiblio
> and remove the invoker reference.
> If we do this we should also remove the following reference from the
> jsp-examples main page: "These examples will only work when these
> pages are being served by a servlet engine; of course, we recommend
> Tomcat"
>
> We can do this ourselves or ask Tomcat to do it..
>
> 2) Only make the example(s) available on Tomcat distributions.
>
> 3) Install on Jetty and live with the "WARNING: Some GBeans were not
> started successfully:" Or find a way to ignore and/or suppress the
> WARNING.

Suppressing the warnings is a really bad idea.  Usually you want to
stop when you see one.

Posted by Jan Bartel <ja...@mortbay.com>.
Dave,

Strange, I tried the war in standalone Jetty and there are no
deployment errors and it seems to work fine. I can only assume
that we're not catching some error, I will have a further look
at that.

Anyway, I assume the "invoker" servlet being referred to would
be the invoker servlet that is normally configured in jetty's
webdefault.xml file (and is by default commented out):

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Invoker</servlet-class>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>verbose</param-name>
      <param-value>false</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>nonContextServlets</param-name>
      <param-value>false</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <init-param>
      <param-name>dynamicParam</param-name>
      <param-value>anyValue</param-value>
    </init-param>
    <load-on-startup>0</load-on-startup>
  </servlet>

  <servlet-mapping> <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name> <url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern> </servlet-mapping>

To run the tomcat servlet examples Geronimo needs to do the same kind of GBean
exposure for the JettyWebModuleDeployer as is done for the DefaultServlet. I
think that should just be a matter of adding the following lines to the
j2ee-jetty-runtime-deployer-plan.xml :

    <gbean name="InvokerServlet" class="org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyServletHolder">
        <attribute name="servletName">invoker</attribute>
        <attribute name="servletClass">org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Invoker</attribute>
        <attribute name="loadOnStartup">0</attribute>
        <attribute name="initParams">
 verbose=false
 nonContextServlets=false
 dynamicParam=anyValue
        </attribute>
        <attribute name="servletMappings">/servlet/*</attribute>
    </gbean>

regards
Jan

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.
--- Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The web.xml contains the following:
>
>      <filter-mapping>
>          <filter-name>Servlet Mapped
> Filter</filter-name>
> 	<servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
>      </filter-mapping>
>

> Concerning invoker:
> "The invoker is a dynamic servlet which allows
> run-time loading of other
> servlets based on class name. This servlet is the
> one that allows

http://localhost/servlet/com.foo.MyClass?more=cowbell,
> where
> com.foo.MyClass is some class which can be loaded as
> a servlet but was
> never explicitly declared in a config file."

    I do not know the behavior of Invoker Servlet in
Jetty, but in tomcat -
   "The purpose of the Invoker Servlet is to allow a
web application to dynamically register new servlet
definitions  that correspond with a <servlet> element
in the /WEB-INF/web.xml deployment descriptor, and
execute requests utilizing the new servlet
definitions."
     More info can be found at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/funcspecs/fs-invoker.html

Thanks
Anita

> [...]
J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,Servlet=invoker,WebFilter=Se

Filter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/

> Servlet matching the

J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,WebModule=geronimo/

> car,j2eeType=Servlet,name=invoker

> running and check for
> reference name is just a

J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,Servlet=invoker,WebFilter=Ser

vletMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-

J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,URLPattern="/servlet/

\*",WebFilter=PathMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-

jetty/1.0-SNAPSHOT/car,j2eeType=WebFilterMapping[starting]

J2EEApplication=null,J2EEServer=geronimo,Servlet=invoker,WebFilter=Ser

vletMappedFilter,WebModule=geronimo/servlets-examples-jetty/1.0-

> org.apache.geronimo.jetty.JettyFilterMapping

=== message truncated ===

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com

Re: Startup Warning related to running Tomcat Examples on Jetty

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.